Frame Refurbishment - Powder Coat V Enamel

trumpet1050

Hi - just picked up a 'barn find' TY175 which has a lot of surface corrosion.

A local bodyshop run by a guy who rides and refurbs twin shock motocross bikes has recommended enamel as its harder wearing albeit a thin coat so it doesnt obscure the frame number. However I've also been recommended to powder coat it.

I'll get the frame and bits and pieces shot blast first but wondered what the opinion was on powder coating versus enameling?

Thanks, Mark

ive used stove enamel in the past, mainly on vintage stuff, which gives it a nice original sheen. i also painted my old tl with stove enamel but it seemed to chip easier. go for powder coating if you anticipate scraping over a few rocks.

Powder coating is just paint applied differently, and it will chip. Although very durable, if you plan upon bashing the bike much, a good enamel finish is usually easier to re-toutch if needed. And a polyurethane enamel is strongest, not cheap! Even prettier from new mostly!

Long made short, the finest jobs are not done by powder! Although, add a clearcoat and they can look really good if they can keep the trash out!

M2C :rolleyes: