Tyres

pat slinn

Hi Guy's,

Who makes a front and rear trials tyre that (4.00x18 & 2.75x21) that most resembles a Dunlop "universal" trials tyre of yonks ago ?. OR is there still a supply of Dunlop trials universals ?

regards to all,

Pat.

Sorry but i've got to ask. Why oh why would anybody want to make a tyre as bad as the Dunlop trials universal?

Most current tyres look pretty much like the bakalite Trials Loonyversal but thank heavens at least the ones currently available all work to a greater or lesser degree. there's nothing currently available thats as bad as what we had way back then.

If the tyre was as bad as you say, it just shows how good the lads were back in the "universal" days. People won SSDT on them, British experts, Gold medals in the ISDT. You must have seen, or heard of some of the brilliant rides that people like Sammy, Scott, Billy W, and loads of stars had on them. However a 60's rebuild aint the same qithout the original "universals". Hope to meet you at the classic trials show, please come and introduce yourself.

Pat.

Hi Guys.

Hi OTF.

Just to explain.

Pat is rebuilding his bike to the original specification,to how he first built it in 1964. This is why he wants "Dunlop trials universals". Now you would not go and look at GOV132 , and find modern tyres fitted on her would you?

Well you might if they were cheaper!!!!!

Pat and his superb BSA C15, are special guests at the Classic Trials Show, so indeed come along and meet them both, there will be more surprises as well I can assure you.

Regards Charlie.

OK Charlie thanks for the explanation but i havent got the foggiest what tyres GOV132 or even what pertains to be GOV132 has fitted but whatever trials tyre they are i wouldnt view it any differently.

Good luck to Pat but personally i still dont see the problem.

Then again you know me i think Trials Bikes should be ridden.

Another saying comes to mind, and before anybody spits their dummy yes you all know who you are, "if you cant build it right build it bright" and i've seen a few of them in my time. Anyway as i said good luck to Pat if thats what floats his boat and good luck with the show. I was chatting to Mick about it and Lee's session just the other day.

Good luck mate :mellow:

Hi Guy's

Hi OTF.

I agree totally ,that bikes are built to ride. And I know Pat would love to ride his if he could. What we forget at our age, is that some of us can't ride the bikes we would love to, so just keep involved with them by tinkering. And there is also a group, that I fall into, that can sometimes, kick-start a bike, and ride it, and sometimes can't. So get just as much pleasure, building, and renovating bikes, as riding them.

Regards Charlie.

Hi OTF, and Charlie,

After 4 orthopaedic operations in the past 5 years, and waiting for another, I have been warned by my surgeon that if I damage on of my prosthesis's the result could be very serious, so as Charlie has said I now "tinker" with bikes and love it. I totally agree bikes should be ridden, and not hidden in museums etc.The C15 that I built in 1964 and restoring at the moment will be prepared as if I am going to ride it in the SSDT, I am trying to keep it as original as possible that is why I would like to fit the original type of tyres, eg Dunlop Trials Universal. However I have retired from trials riding, and the bike has to. when I have finished it, and Elaine is not looking! I will find somebody to start it for me and I will be riding it around the bloc.

Pat.

Hi Pat and Charlie,

I too am an amputee (lower Leg) and get pleasure from tinkering in the workshop on my collection of classic and vintage bikes including trials bikes. Happily my son rides the bikes in

both pre 65 and vintage runs while I wait to get back to riding again - but not in trials. Dont think my surgeon would be too keen either!. Hope that we can meet up sometime for a chat Pat.

Gerry

Hi Guy's.

Hi Gerry.

Come along to the Classic Trials Show at Stoneleigh on August21/22.

You can meet Pat there, he is one of our special quest's at the show as is is superb BSA C15, re-built into how it was originally put together by Pat, when working in the BSA experimental and competition department. I look forward to meeting you to.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Charlie and Pat.

Would love to go to the Show but there is the small matter of the Irish Sea between us!!!. And it is the most expensive bit of water in the world to cross by boat but will see what Ryanair can do, I go to London a bit to see Grandson so might tie something in that way.

Anyway we will get to meet soon for a chat etc.

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...