Rear Dunlop With Tube!

sam

Is it possible to run a rear Dunlop tire with a tube on a modern day Sherco rim with no rim locks. I have a new tire with a bad bead and would like to use it but do not want to drill a rim lock hole. I'm just thinking the new tires with such a sticky soft rubber compound may not spin so easy on the rim. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Is it possible to run a rear Dunlop tire with a tube on a modern day Sherco rim with no rim locks. I have a new tire with a bad bead and would like to use it but do not want to drill a rim lock hole. I'm just thinking the new tires with such a sticky soft rubber compound may not spin so easy on the rim. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I run a tube in my Dunplop and it doesn't spin but it depends on how bad or loose your bead is, give it a go is my only suggestion.

I think it would probably be ok as long as you get the tube to fully(push to) seat the tire on the rim to begin with. When things pop on, they really pop. I can run really low pressures on the Dunlops with no problems.

A good tire soap really helps these things jump on the bead easily at reasonable pressures.

I suppose you have already tried to get this tire to seal up with some silecone RTV or something as a patch/filler?

:crying:

Edited by copemech

Thanks guys for the answers I wanted to hear!

Before I tube it I'm going to lay a piece of innertube in the damaged bead area for a seal, the bead is damaged bad enough I do not think silicone will work.

Thanks guys for the answers I wanted to hear!

Before I tube it I'm going to lay a piece of innertube in the damaged bead area for a seal, the bead is damaged bad enough I do not think silicone will work.

Other thoughts that come to mind. 3M makes a rubberized sealing tape for sealing wire connestions. It is thin and may work to lay over an area. Another thing would be a regular tire patch laid in the area and glued onthe tire bead. They are thin and beveled and flexable! ????????

I can almost seal up a ducks butt with urethane windshield sealer! Might build up the area a bit with that!

Good luck!

I did not have luck with me damaged tire, KABANG! Bout knocked me down as my new tube exploded. :banana2:

I installed a new rim band, that is the worst mechanical procedure there is! I did it, but not intill hours later with no leaks. Tire on, tire off, Ey, Yey, Yey! :huh:

But I did it, hurray. Now I'm sporting a new-used Michy.

I will look further into Copemech's tips, but need some time off from tire maintnance.

sam :wacko:

You need to come to Mid-Michigan's event this weekend. If your bike is ready you MUST ride, if it is not you can hang out and have a few :banana2: with all of us. Would be a good break for ya and recharge your psychic batteries. (or was that psycho)

Did you use the rim band with the valve stem incorporated into it or was it a traditional rim band with the valve stem separate?

Edited by ZIPPY

Rim band/valve stem all one piece.

I had no tire doughnut, much needed when you keep taking tire on and off over and over again testing rim band for leaks. The best part is I have mastered using a 16" bicycle tube for my tire doughnut.

I was thinking could you fill the 16" tube with some substance to create a tire doughnut similar to the professional ones?