Help To Name This

kerabo

I am a new member on here. I am also a member of the Francis Barnett Owners Club and through this have now taken ownership of a converted FB trials. Its based on a 1959 FB Falcon.

What i need help with is to identify the conversion on the engine. The bottom end is a Villiers 9E but the top end I was told is a 250 conversion. I have attempted to recearch this and the nearest I can find is a Marcell conversion. Can anyone confirm this or knows more about this. Its all alloy and the inlet stub is deep into the fins with 3 screws holding it on .The exhaust is held by 2 screws The only marking is at the base of the barrel and I think it MB

My second attempt to do this as the first sems to have gone missing although it want to stop me using web site details

With luck my pictures will be visible to you .

Regards Ken

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii151/K...eneral%20stuff/

Edited by KERABO

Hello, I would agree with Trickymicky, looks like Parkinson Conversion. Don't know about the 'upright 9e' Engine, could it be a Chinese copy ! What interests me is the middle silencer, looks very much like a 1968 Vauxhall Victor middle exhaust box.

Edited by ask greeves

Hello, I would agree with Trickymicky, looks like Parkinson Conversion. Don't know about the 'upright 9e' Engine, could it be a Chinese copy ! What interests me is the middle silencer, looks very much like a 1968 Vauxhall Victor middle exhaust box.

Yes the silencer does look car like but with help from you guys I hope to improve on that.

Regards Ken

I'm pretty sure that Francis Barnett and James both used 8e engines rather than 9e and this would explain the vertical barrel. I hope this helps.

Engine number is 049D 13749 Does this help identify it

Regards Ken

After a little searching I found a site that gave the following as a reply to my engine number. Is this good Or have I purchased a DUD

Regards Ken

JW Villiers Engines

Query on 149D returned 1Engine Model 32A 246cc Made( 60-66) BorexStroke( 66 X 72) Rotor(R134) Armature(A139) Carb( S25)

Customer [models if known] Cotton:: Cotton Trail

No specific information about carb and magneto, Villiers standard has been assumed

Four speed W First 3.60 Second 2.18 Third 1.56 Top 1.00

Villiers Singles Database based on data from Villiers factory data sheets,the VMCC machine book, Glass's Guide, and emails from Villiers owners

Where multiple records exist - Some models are known to have been supplied to several customers. Conflicting data - Yes, It does happen

After a little searching I found a site that gave the following as a reply to my engine number. Is this good Or have I purchased a DUD

Regards Ken

JW Villiers Engines

Query on 149D returned 1Engine Model 32A 246cc Made( 60-66) BorexStroke( 66 X 72) Rotor(R134) Armature(A139) Carb( S25)

Customer [models if known] Cotton:: Cotton Trail

No specific information about carb and magneto, Villiers standard has been assumed

Four speed W First 3.60 Second 2.18 Third 1.56 Top 1.00

Villiers Singles Database based on data from Villiers factory data sheets,the VMCC machine book, Glass's Guide, and emails from Villiers owners

Where multiple records exist - Some models are known to have been supplied to several customers. Conflicting data - Yes, It does happen

Hi Ken

Think you searched on the right site for info.....you entered the wrong engine number (149D not 049D)

I have just searched your info and got 049D back as an 9E

Heres a link Villers ID

Cheers

Martin

Edited by MartinM

Sorry guys i had made an error with the number its 049D and not 149D This make it a 9E from a dam 3 wheeler. I thought for a moment I was on a winner and had a competion engine.

JW Villiers Engines

Query on 049D returned 1Engine Model 9E 197cc Made( 55-67) BorexStroke( 59 X 72) Rotor(SIBA) Armature(SIBA) Carb(S25/3)

Customer [models if known] H Meadows Vehicles::

Four speed W First 3.25 Second 1.96 Third 1.40 Top 1.00

Where multiple records exist - Some models are known to have been supplied to several customers. Conflicting data - Yes, It does .

I shall have to wait for someone to see and identify the top end.

Thank you all fopr your help

Ken

I had the same problem when i bought my sprite trials bike , the closest match i found was the Marcelle , but the marcelle as 8 horizontal fin's on the barrel , but mine only as 7 .......

post-3098-1279371453.jpg

post-3098-1279371464.jpg

post-3098-1279371471.jpg

post-3098-1279371478.jpg

Edited by hewson

Sorry guys i had made an error with the number its 049D and not 149D This make it a 9E from a dam 3 wheeler. I thought for a moment I was on a winner and had a competion engine.

There was a Invalid 3 wheeler regularly at the SSDT in the 60/70's that had a competition motor and was fast. Belonged to a factory employee/rider who had had an accident.

Never know, could be that one, if your lucky !