Don't Know What I Have

chilly

Hello for the first time :rolleyes: I am rebuilding a Fantic 301 (it says in the side panel anyway) but the piston looks small for a 250. I measured it across the top and it is roughly 62mm across with one ring very close to the top. It has the wrong forks on at the minute they have the thumb up sign on the side so i guess they are from a bultaco. I will be pulling it apart and stripping painting and replacing broken bits. The kickstart had been welded on and it was the wrong one anyway! After grinding it off the splines don't look too bad on the shaft (fingers crossed) After cleaning all the muck off the engine case i found the engine number and Fantic 350. It has a red frame and monoshock rear end with a conical hub,the front has a drum brake but i suspect this will be from the buktaco along with the forks. Does anybody know what size puller i will need to get the rotor off if i need to split it to fit a new shaft? I bought one from ebay which was way too big M32X1.25,there is a 17mm nut holding it on but i have not disturbed it yet. Will this be anti clockwise to undo? This is a new thing to me as i normally stick to road bikes so am learning as i go. It's pretty rough at the minute but it's all there so that's a good start,oh yes the piston has a B on it at the rear so that might mean something to somebody. Any help much apprecieated :)

Hello Mate,

Your best bet is talking to a chap on here called Lee Harris, he seems to know his stuff when it comes to Fantics.

Like you I'm new to this game after giving up motocross and trying my hand at restoring an old trials bike, the wife thinks I can't hurt myself on one !

Enjoy yourself with your new toy, I'm just cursing the devil that decided a welder was a good idea to put mine back together.........

http://www.fantictrials.co.uk/ This website lists 62mm dia pistons as being for a 156cc engine, called a Fantic 200. I used to have one, it had a chrome bore, i think, with a single L shaped ring at the top of the piston. The engine was made by moto minerelli, it had to be in neutral to start it, is that a primary kickstart or secondary kickstart? Not sure if fantic made their own engines as well but i'm sure someone will know. A rough date can be found moulded into the underside of the petrol tank, ie when the tank was made, assuming it's original.

just re read your post and realised you're talking about a monoshock, mines was a twinshock with a plastic tank. I assume yours is a 201 which was the next model. Also assume the engines were basically the same bore sizes.

Hello for the first time :rolleyes: I am rebuilding a Fantic 301 (it says in the side panel anyway) but the piston looks small for a 250. I measured it across the top and it is roughly 62mm across with one ring very close to the top. It has the wrong forks on at the minute they have the thumb up sign on the side so i guess they are from a bultaco. I will be pulling it apart and stripping painting and replacing broken bits. The kickstart had been welded on and it was the wrong one anyway! After grinding it off the splines don't look too bad on the shaft (fingers crossed) After cleaning all the muck off the engine case i found the engine number and Fantic 350. It has a red frame and monoshock rear end with a conical hub,the front has a drum brake but i suspect this will be from the buktaco along with the forks. Does anybody know what size puller i will need to get the rotor off if i need to split it to fit a new shaft? I bought one from ebay which was way too big M32X1.25,there is a 17mm nut holding it on but i have not disturbed it yet. Will this be anti clockwise to undo? This is a new thing to me as i normally stick to road bikes so am learning as i go. It's pretty rough at the minute but it's all there so that's a good start,oh yes the piston has a B on it at the rear so that might mean something to somebody. Any help much apprecieated :)

speak to bill pye at frankfield garage 01642722378 near stockton i think, he should be able to tell you everything you need to know as well as supplying you with parts :thumbup:

Hallo,

I owned some monoshock Fantics (201, 301 and 310 progress II).

Looking at your information your's is part Fantic 201 (301 has a different engine/cilinderhead).

And the frontfork is nice, but not for this bike.

Should be single disk brake.

There is a lot of good stuff for sale in Hergenroth Germanty at the Eurocup trial this weekend.

If you know someone who is going make some arrangements

Succes,

Arie from Holland

Lots of things here but a bit mixed up i finks

Fantic first launched an FM 350 in 1980 as a twin shock. It had a nikasil (similar to hard chrome) bore but the motor was made by minarelli. The tank date moulded under neath shows the date of manufacture approx.

In 1983 they stopped making em and in 1984 , model year 1985 they launched the fm 350 mono, which had a disc or drum at the front depending on sales market. The bore and stroke is the same as the twin shock bike but no parts are interchangeable as the motor was made by fantic. It kick starts forwards and not backwards like ther TSs.

The letter on the top of the piston shows the diameter. The bores cannot be rebored but as a piston wears out, you can replace with the next letter as available

The cases need splitting to replace the kickstart shaft. Kickstarts and shafts are easily and cheaply avauilable here. Bill Pye also has them in the UK but only new and maybe not so cheap as used.

The motor was great and the bikes are now well sort after. if not for a aircolled mono, more to fint in an FM450 TS frame.

HTH