Buying Second Hand From A Dealer

theboo

hi without naming any names or a makes does anyone know the situation of buying second hand from a dealer,just bought a six month old bike and a few problems have appeared after the first ride, i have contacted the dealer but as of yet he has not been there and has not returned my call thanks

thats the second post of recent times where the dealer is "fobbing off" punters.......its time to name and shame these dealers as they are quick enough to take our money for over-priced trade-ins!!!!! There are plenty off good guys out there willing to give a that little bit more such as FEET-UP TRIALSPORT for one who helped me big time We are paying more now for bikes than a lot of people will spend on a car

I think there is a lot of misconseption on used bikes. Firstly, one can only inspect and do Soo Much! If things check out, then so be it, and is blessed as a good runner.

If one expects a like new bike, then one should be prepared to pay the "like new" price! Otherwize, do not quibble about whot you got "as is"!

Many dealers sell on an "as is" basis purely, with no liability of fault of their own if unknown problems exhist. Others may well assist if unplanned failures occur.

In the old days, race bikes came with NO warranty from new! None,Nada, forget about it! It now belongs to YOU! :rolleyes:

At some point , you gotta man-up! You got what you got!

Edited by copemech

Hey we ride limited production bikes and you have to be ready to work on or improve a bike when new! I'd be p****d if it was a big item (frame or major engine) but would just suck it up.... it is second hand.

In the old days, race bikes came with NO warranty from new! None,Nada, forget about it! It now belongs to YOU! :rolleyes:

Yep , The only thing covered then was manufacturing Defects . You had to hope that the dealer had good set up guys , or ask for the bike still in the crate .... They were sold with a merchantability clause , ie it will start , stop , and roll and perform as designed when delivered ,upon delivery you assume all liability for the bike .

The good old days , before lawyers ruled the world !!

no not a dealer, funny question, the bike was bought from a main dealer, i do not want to name names etc because you never know if you might want to cross the bridge again, and my experience might not be the same as other peoples

Edited by theboo

if witonut riding the bike in a competition and in the first couple of weeks a major fault becomes apparent then certainly take it back to the dealer. by major i'd include engine, electrics, gearbox, fork, shocks once you ve crossed that line into your first section though thats it your on your own.

you paid the dealer premium for a little security and its probably true that the dealer makes more on a used bike than a new one so if something major isnt right drag it back to him.

I think its the risk you take with everything tho!

I got my bike from ebay and so far nothing has gone wrong with it, however my friend got one from a dealer and has nothing but problems with it,

but what can you do??? I mean you cant check everything on the bike, I think its down to the luck of the draw

It a shame trials bikes dont come with a service book at least you would see what has been done and this in turn would give you some back up if something did go wrong