Boot Protectors

zippy

There have been many reports of many different brands of boots wearing holes in the sides where the bike frame makes contact.

Any ideas on things to Glue/sew or otherwise affix to the boot as a "wear patch" that can be periodically replaced. Instead of wearing a hole in the boot?

there was a time when I was going to make foopegs with a physical guide to stop people from hugging the frame, not practical because you need to move about the footrest. At risk of coming over as critical if you're wearing the side of your boots out on the frame you could be simply in need of revising your riding stance.

I use Herculiner truck bed coating and black Shoe Goo. Herculiner is sold at most auto parts stores and clear Shoe Goo is at Walmart. I found the black ones on Amazon. I find a lot of uses for both of these items. Herculiner is meant to be used all at once and once you open the can, the can is toast. You can store the unused amount in a glass jar. I put teflon tape on the lip so it doesn't glue shut. That stuff sticks to everthing! You can use Herculiner as a base coat and Shoe Goo over it. As you start using up the jar, you need to avoid air space in there because it will dry out. I use an semi-inflated balloon but next time I'm going to try a condom.

Another use for Herculiner is dilute it down with Xylene and brush in on your synthetic leather gloves, then wipe off the rubber texture bits. After it dries it will be stiff, but after it breaks in it makes the gloves very tough and you can pick up granite rocks without tearing up your gloves. I also apply some straight Herculiner on the fingertips. You can even put in on your handlebar grips.

Edited by sectionone

there was a time when I was going to make foopegs with a physical guide to stop people from hugging the frame, not practical because you need to move about the footrest. At risk of coming over as critical if you're wearing the side of your boots out on the frame you could be simply in need of revising your riding stance.

I don't think I ride with a stance that lends to wearing holes in boots, but I am a cheap ******* and am buying a new pair of boots. (for the first time, my current boots were given to me used. See I am real cheap) So I am trying to protect my investment. I think most of the frame contact may be made when hopping the rear wheel to one side or the other, as the side of the boot may touch the frame when "pushing" to the side.

Herculiner HMMMMMM

Keep the ideas coming.

That Herculiner stuff just costs too much for Zipper! He can just put dabs of RTV where he needs it! If it falls off, put another bumper on!

Just smear it on the bike! The boots will still look good! And the bike will still look tricked out! Does that stuff come in pink? :agreed:

That Herculiner stuff just costs too much for Zipper! He can just put dabs of RTV where he needs it! If it falls off, put another bumper on!

Just smear it on the bike! The boots will still look good! And the bike will still look tricked out! Does that stuff come in pink? :D

You know me so well :beer::agreed:

Only place I get contact there is at my ankle bulb (Tibia end?), wouldn't want a plate of any kind there due to movement restriction. How about Shoe goo'ing a small section of rubber hand ball/racket ball on that bulb? Would last a bit longer than a dab of silicon and you might be abe to get a free ball if you go to the courts and ask..... (you said cheap, yes? : )

Only place I get contact there is at my ankle bulb (Tibia end?), wouldn't want a plate of any kind there due to movement restriction. How about Shoe goo'ing a small section of rubber hand ball/racket ball on that bulb? Would last a bit longer than a dab of silicon and you might be abe to get a free ball if you go to the courts and ask..... (you said cheap, yes? : )

I seem to be getting a reputation. :agreed:

I guess something flexible would be the best option. Not sure if I am actually going to put anything on the boots. Just thinking out loud and looking for others' opinions.

I ordered some Alpinestars. (Black of course) I know, I have heard they wear out quickly. I don't much care if they look a bit ratty as long as they still function as they should. Also I like the ankle protection that is built in. I tried some on and they do feel much more comfy than my Gaerne's.