Jitsie Inside-out Air Filter

neo

I think the Jitsie Air filter is pictured and (fitted buy most) inside-out.

Here's their own description....

- Course (Grey) outer layer to catch large particles and resist clogging

- Finer (yellow) inner layer to trap the finest of dust

But as pictured the yellow Finer filter is on the inside....making that the first layer (in the direct of airflow) and the Grey Course layer is on the outside.

Any duel stage filer that I've seen starts with a course layer first so I've just turned my one inside out compared to their picture. Because it make more sense to me that way.

Any thoughts on this gents?

Best of balance.

Neo

I use Jitsie filters and had never really thought about it but you're right, it doesn't seem to be logical to have the fine bit first....

However I've not had any problems in 3 years and I content myself in the knowledge that hopefully they know more than me about putting filters together! :agreed:

I too thought this while on my Sherco - I, as you did, turned my filter inside out!

Why? Not only due to the wrong way roundness of the whole filter business, but also they say theres that big rubber seal... What the hell is it going to seal against pointing up the way? Yup - You're right, nothing!

I think they've had a Gas Gas on site during design, and just a Sherco filter and assumed they're in simmilar posistions in both bikes... as the GG filter is like a cup over the airbox - carb rubber. Meaning that if it was used like this, there would be a seal against the box, and the filter material would be the right way round.

the air filter fits the stock filter cage without a problem. No matter how bad

Sherco's dont have a filter cage, the GG does... I'm thinking its more and more likely :agreed:

Edited by shercoman2k8

However I've not had any problems in 3 years and I content myself in the knowledge that hopefully they know more than me about putting filters together! :beer:
Yes I don't think you'see any noticeable problems but the fine filter will clog up a lot quicker.

shercoman2k8, that GG Filter theory of yours sounds just about right to me :agreed:

Best of balance.

Neo

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps - was reading your thread and wondered if i could ask a stupid question (or two?)

I have just bought a basic replacement filter and am not sure whether i should oil it both sides or just the outside? I rode it Sunday and the inside had collected dust which i could easily tap out, but should i be oiling the inside which might make it harder to tap out the dust. Should i be washing it out completely in petrol every so often and re-oiling? (i'm using Motul). Have i wasted my money on a cheap one when i should have bought a 2 stage dual filter?

Thats 3 questions - sorry.

Neo - hope the clutch is still working well. Cant find that Aussie oil over here in blighty so not been able to try it.

all the best - Caddabs

I use an aerosol oil (forget brand at the moment) I coat the inside of the filter evenly with a thin layer and then coat the outside of it a bit also. The inside is where air starts to go through the filter and the majority of the dirt would be caught there, any that passes should be caught in the oil that I put on the outside. I also spray a thick coat of oil around the underside of the "top" where it sits on top of the air box, thus creating a seal so the air must pass through the inside of the filter into the air box.

I use petrol to clean my air filter but I also do not recommend this. The petrol has an ability to destroy the glue holding the filter together and possibly the filter material itself. I have been told that dishwashing soap and water works well to clean them. I believe it is recommended to clean and oil the filter after every outing. (sure that's gonna happen, I just do it when I remember it's dirty)

The "cheap" filter is probably a Twin air, if it is that is a good quality filter. (In my opinion)

Hope this all helps.

Always remember an engine that breaths well will run great! and keep the dirt out!!

Neo - hope the clutch is still working well. Cant find that Aussie oil over here in blighty so not been able to try it.

I must admit that I thought Nulon was a US company because I remember buying an engine treatment stuff they did in the UK 25 years ago. But when I go to the website I see it's Aussie...unless something cleaver is going on with that site and it's directing me to my own region....Have you tried www.nulon.com from where you are?

I gave up on soapy water some time back and just spray clean the filter with a can of cheap aerosol degreaser .... After squeezing it in a towel it's pretty much ready for oiling and putting back in.

On a twinair filter I'd work (squeeze) the oil all the way through to both sides anyway. But on a Jitse filter I lightly cote the oil on the fine (yellow) foam only...and have that on the outside.

Best of balance.

Neo

Using petrol to wash the filter can damage the glue but its way more likely to expand the pores in the foam making it easier for dirt to pass through

I use turps to get the oil out of the filter then use hot soapy water to remove the turps & the clean water to make sure the soap is gone. It's always amazing how much dirt comes out with the turps & then how much the soapy water manages to find as well.

Throw it in the hot water cupboard overnight before oiling & fit your spare that is already oiled & kept in a sealed bag