Gold Colour On 2004 290 Manifold

tom6n2

was out on my bike today and someone said that my manifold does not look right as it may be running to hot. instead of the chrome it has turned a gold colour

can anybody shed some light on it for me please sorry for the pic was taken from my iphone

cheers tom

1b482988.jpg

well ive only had the bike a month so i dont know if its been messed with in the past all i know is the lad who i bought it from thought it had piston lock so he changed the piston and rings but couldnt get it running so he sent it in to be looked at and it had the following

above motorcycle brought in with barrel/head etc removed plus a box of bits. inspect engine and remove from bike, completeley strip motor and replace main bearings and seals (had to have one main bearing cut off crank) clean up all parts and rebuild with new gaskets, deglaze barrel, replaced spark plug, replenish coolent plus gearbox oil clean plus re oil air filter put in fresh fuel rebuild all removed parts and bleed clutch

he got it back on the 8/6/10 and i bought it on 10/6/10

if i take it to my local trials dealer will he know if its been played with?

tom

Anyone with a flywheel puller will be able to tell you if the timing is in the standard position, the mark on the stator should line up with the edge mount that has a screw through it. May be possible to check with the flywheel in place

Have a look at the manuals pinned at the topic of the list

There is a process to follow on the '04 bikes which is similar to the new ones, however my late '03 did not have a recogniseable tic mark on the stator plate, thus the only ref wat the outer marks, which requires a timing light.

Ck it out,HERE

The bike has gotten very hot! It could of had a ignition problem that has been fixed or somebody may have just been doing a bunch of hill climbs or road racing with it. If it runs good now and doesn't get hot I wouldn't worry about it.

The bike has gotten very hot! It could of had a ignition problem that has been fixed or somebody may have just been doing a bunch of hill climbs or road racing with it. If it runs good now and doesn't get hot I wouldn't worry about it.

Now im worried. I know the fan works so that must be a good sign plus since owning the bike ive gone to 80ml per 5 litres (60:1ish) with having a rebuild

Are you getting paranoid because someone mentioned the colour of the exhaust header pipe. Probably was that colour when you bought it, like I said earlier, retarding the ignition can cause it to turn golden.

If it is running too hot while you are riding then your rear mudguard will start to melt and the plastic exhaust cover will melt also. Play safe and get the ignition timing checked and also the carb jets and settings checked just incase somebody has played around with it. Stop worrying and just get your dealer to check it over. :agreed:

Now im worried. I know the fan works so that must be a good sign plus since owning the bike ive gone to 80ml per 5 litres (60:1ish) with having a rebuild

If you put to much two stroke oil in your petrol, you are in fact making the mixture to weak and therefore it will run hot . My offer of a flywheel puller to check the timing is still on offer if needed

Regards

Phil

Hiya phil cheers for the offer but its in the middle of a rebuild after a crash at the weekend so i can get it ready for darwen trial on wed 11th. So if the offer is still there after that can i take u up on it please

Ps yea the exhaust was a gold colour when i got it but im only getting into the trials scene i dont know the ins and outs yet. And the rear mudgaurd aint melting also when putting my hand behind the silencer its about the same temp as a car's exhaust gases by feel i will dig my tenp senser out my RC gear and get some readings when its fixed

Hiya phil cheers for the offer but its in the middle of a rebuild after a crash at the weekend so i can get it ready for darwen trial on wed 11th. So if the offer is still there after that can i take u up on it please

Ps yea the exhaust was a gold colour when i got it but im only getting into the trials scene i dont know the ins and outs yet. And the rear mudgaurd aint melting also when putting my hand behind the silencer its about the same temp as a car's exhaust gases by feel i will dig my tenp senser out my RC gear and get some readings when its fixed

No worries, just let me know whenever you are ready and if you need any advice just ask and i'll help if possible.

P.S. There's a good trial on at Grimehills this Saturday with Bolton MCC . It's only the other side of Edgworth, so it's not to far. Maybe we'll see you there

Phil

With any luck if it stops running like a bag of spanners n is fixed i will be at cowm this sunday getting some practice in for the wed night.

Will speak to mr butterworth about that mcc trial n maybe come n have a watch

Edited by tom6n2