Bike Wont Start.............

steve1979

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we swapped stator's over and instantly a MASSIVE difference in spark, nice big healthy blue spark. Got her together and she fired second kick and that was without choke

Any recommendations as to where to get it rewound, i was thinking about Bradford ignitions in Spain i read on here somewhere someone said they were good and to avoid West country windings.

while i'm waiting for it i have already cleaned the flaking paint off inside the casing where the fly wheel sits, would silver Hammerite be okay to give it a freshen up, i know its not seen once the cover is back on but it would be fine to slow down any corrosion creeping back in, obviously i wouldn't paint where the sator bolts on.

Also i seen on here someone vented the cover with a pipe up under the fuel tank, Whats the benefit of this, is this to aid heat loss or just to cut down on condensation

Sent off the stator to West country windings and they called to say they had found the fault and have sent it off in the post back to me, perhaps tommorow i will get it back.

And Just to say i ordered a few woodruff keys to replace the old one when i put the flywheel back on and the kind guy's at Haven trials sport sent me 6 and only charged me for two, i know its just small change but it's the fact that they did which is qiute nice, so i'll be dealing with them again, a big thumbs up to them

Glad you got it sorted :rolleyes:

Me too. That's the first stator for that model I've heard of going out so I don't think it's a common problem from my experience.

Hopefully you won't need more than one Woodruff key. After you run the engine through a few rides, re-torque the flywheel bolt (and a little blue Loctite on the threads) and you shouldn't have any further problems. I like to check the stator area once a year and spray a little WD40 in that area before re-installing the flywheel.

Jon

Well stator arrived today, put it all back together carefully and NOTHING not even a faint spark now, Getting 100ohms on the red and green and now 33ohms on the dark and light blue but no spark at all, GUTTED thought that was it going to be sorted. Guess i'll have to phone the company that rewound it. I've had it apart and together again over and over again tonight making sure i've not missed anything simple but every thing is connected.

Hi Steve, you must be gutted? I'm all too well aware of that feeling so you have my sympathy. A few things perhaps worth pondering over.......

When WCW told you they'd found a problem did they tell you what it was? You're original resistance readings were nearer spec than the ones you're getting now, after it's been fixed?

When you used your mates stator (good mate) did you use his flywheel with it or your own? Flywheel magnets can go a bit Pete Tong if they've had impact damage (could result in bad pick up signal).

Was there a reason you didn't test your own stator in mateys bike when you tried his in yours? (Eliminate all possibilities).

Let us know how you get on, preferably with a happier ending next time?

Cheers,

GJ :rolleyes:

P.S. The pipe from the stator cover running up under the tank is a common fix to prevent water ingress from the vacuum effect of a hot motor entering cold water; it's a breather pipe.

Hi gjbiker, thanks for your comments, very appreciated.

Well i phoned WCW and they said " perhaps my CDI was weak before and now the stator has been rewound the extra current may have fried the capacitor in it" ??????????????

Now i didn't think of it at the time as i'm no sparky, all this ohms etc is a steep learning curve to me. But surely the amount of current coming from the stator would be irrelevant as it would go through a regulator wouldn't it??? i'm not sure. It's hard to keep up with someone almost talking a foreign language on the other end of the phone.

They didn't actually say what problem they found and i was that delighted thinking all was cured i never asked.

We never tried my stator on my mate's bike as we had swapped everything else and once it finally fired up with his stator we assumed yup thats the cause as the symptoms were showing to wards that anyway, in hindsight that would have been a good idea to tried mine on his, and yes he is a very good and patient mate, i called him today to tell him my findings and he is up, for again swapping stators just to confirm 100% thats where the problem lies.

WCW told me to test the stator and pick up by setting my multimeter to AC and i should get approx 10.5v across the two blues which would indicate that is fine and also i should get 0.5v across the red and green whilst kicking her over and if i got nothing that would be a faulty pick up. So i did these tests tonight and i got approx 10.5v with the two blues but nothing across the red and green, How ever my digital multimeter seems to have a mind of it's own so i did these tests with my other one which is a basic one with a needle. I used my digital one for the ohms as i know how to check that.I am going to take my digital one in to work to get one of the engineers to confirm i have it on the correct setting for the AC and its working properly. It has no distint AC and DC setting and i have lost the book it came with a few years back. All though the basic one has DC on one side and AC on the other.

But all in i think it seems a bit weird that there was a weak spark and now nothing, i may be wrong but it seems to me WCW has either not fixed the problem correctly or in the process made a new one as i cant see how apart from a ohms test they could test it.

Oh and while i was at it i phoned haven trials sport just to find out what price a new stator would be and i'll just say Expensive but what a helpfull guy i wish all my calls to people about various things would be as nice. Real good customer service i cant praise them enough at the moment

Edited by steve1979

gutted for you! And very strange your mates stator worked but this rewound one doesn't. I personally always go by ohms readings with stators and they've not been wrong yet. As someone else said, the readings were closer before it got rewound! Good luck with your next bit of testing.

Thanks tt5th,

I googled my multimeter and found i did have it on the wrong setting. It should have been v~ so i set it to this and i got from 10.5 up to 30 v between the two blue's depending how feircly you kick the kick starter so i assume thats a good thing, but on the red and green where i was supposed to get 0.05v i was only getting 0.01v or 0.00v if you wiggled the wire's going into the stator casing, so i'm assuming perhaps the pick up is at fault and not generating enough to do it's job. Thats what i hope anyway. I guess a call to WCW will confirm that.

Sounds like it might have been the pick up all along? Luckily you have the luxury of your mates bike to help confirm this? Try your CDI unit on mateys bike first just to rule out the 'fried capacitor' theory. It worked before so there shouldn't really be any reason why it shouldn't still be working?

Seems a shame to have to pay for a rewind that might not have been necessary?

If you're working from THIS diagram, note that the AC current to the CDI unit (blue wires) is not rectified or regulated.

Hope you get it sorted soon Steve, it must be doing your head in! On a positive note, you'll be a lot wiser at the end of it?

GJ :rolleyes:

Edited by gjbiker

Hi gjbiker,

yes it's kinda frustrating i think electric problems are the worst, give me a broke gear lever or worn bearings any day lol.

Picking it up as i go along, thing is if i get it fixed then after a while i'll probably forget everything I've learned so far, I've got a mind like Homer Simpson

I called WCW today and told him my findings and he also said it has probably been the pick up all along and to send it back and they will replace it, as it should definitely be getting at least 0.5v AC, i must admit they are being helpful so far rather than just fobbing me off. I hope it's the pickup because i really don't want to bother my mate as it's bit of an ask to tear his bike apart although he is willing especially as we have already had it apart before.

Once i get it back i'll post my findings

Steve

Be sure to buy your friend a beer or two after all has been sorted. :rolleyes:

Hee hee, yep i will do, iv'e allready bought him a new chain tensioner as his one was worn out and a irridium plug as a start, but yeah i owe him a couple of pints too and maybe a couple for me lol :marky: