Exhaust Re-packing

falcon1

I'm going to repack my exhaust on my '10 250 pro and was just after some advice before I start the job. I've got some packing from GGUK, but was wondering how much of it I need to use, how tight it needs to be packed etc. Any tips welcome.

I'm going to repack my exhaust on my '10 250 pro and was just after some advice before I start the job. I've got some packing from GGUK, but was wondering how much of it I need to use, how tight it needs to be packed etc. Any tips welcome.

With an 2010 model, unless you've run into an unusual problem with oiling the packing, my guess is that it is not necessary at this time. On average, I would say once a year would be good and a lot sooner than most of us re-pack our silencers.

It's a pretty straight forward job. I like to get the packing fairly tight if it's standard type but I usually use SilentSport packing as it's easier to use and actually it works better if not packed too tight. I use a little clear Silicone sealer on the rear cap and aluminum rivits rather than steel, which tend to elongate the holes. Wirebrush the perforated core to get the holes clear and try to remember where the end of the core meets the end cap so it's aligned when it's time to install the cap.

Jon

Edited by JSE