Query About The Difference Between Acu And Amca Rules.

old trials fanatic

I would have thought by definition to "compete" you must therefore be "competitive" otherwise it's just "practice". Just my humble opinion :D

Either way the reason for the post was to try to clarify the difference in rules between ACU and AMCA events. The AMCA do seem to be very lacking in policing whatever rules they have if any. That leads to people blatantly cheating to the detriment of other riders who follow the rules of competition. All competitions must have rules otherwise they will not be fair competition.

I am not saying you should not enter a competition if you dont care where you finish or if someone on a bike which does not comply with the rules beats you i just wanted to get some form of clarification of the difference between the way the two governing bodies administer LOL our sport.

It appears a lot of people never bother to enter competitions they just go out and practice. Practicing for what i'm not sure but as long as they do it legally and dont cause the rest of us more problems then thats ok by me.

It is a tricky issue thats for sure, I remember these debates raging from the early 1980s, when I first became involved in Pre 65 trials, then it was the oil-in-frame C15s that were the issue. The only problem with these was the fact that some top riders used them and in order to take a few marks off these guys the sections became dangerous for us wobblers. We didn't run multiple routes back then!

Since then machine development has continued, I have observed a section at Mossy's Bonanza for the last few years and I was amazed at the number of different bikes with the most tremendous suspension performance, I must admit that I do admire the engineering ability of the constructors and the riding skills of the riders who can do the most amazing things with the bikes, but it is huge contrast when someone turns up on a 'standard' bike.

Machine modification and fine tuning is all part of competitive sport whether its classic or modern, rules are essential for fairness but a problem arises when they differ between clubs and events, this is where the ACU and AMCA could help but I cant see it happening. In contrast the MSA that regulates car trials has a comprehensive 'Blue Book' of regulations and vehicle specifications.

At least these days there are usually multiple routes available so everyone can find a level of difficulty that they are happy with!