Ngk Spark Plug Numbers

tom6n2

Need to change the plug on my bike as i thinks its faulty i read on here last night that i need a bp5es. Been to the quarry today as i knew they sold plugs cheap and got 2x bp6es as he said they would be ok for my bike is this true or should i just get a bp5es during the week?

Cheers tom

That's weird, I'd of thought they would be more likely foul being a lower temp, In theory the plug tips are suposed to get hot enough to self clean by burning off the oily carbon deposites, I've got a BPR4ES that I'm going to try one day so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

I've run a BPR6EIX during the SSDT, my idea was it would help keep the engine temperature down and stop the engine pinking on the road but it didn't make any noticeable difference, I did alternate days on the BPR5IEX so I should have noticed if there was any difference.

I think I've read that each number step up is equivalent to a 100 degrees C rise in tip temperature.

I agree that it is a bit weird trialsnutterman but does work for me.

I ride at least 3 times a week and it must be over a year since I changed my BP6ES.

Oddly enough I bought BPR6EIX and went to fit it a few weeks back and the old BP6ES just wiped clean with a rag... even the porcelain centre wiped close to white. .... But I am running BP Ultimate 98 Unleaded too. So maybe that effects my findings.

Regarding my BPR6EIX. I didn't fit it because the high electrode made it much longer than the BP6ES and I was concerned the piston would strike it. I once read that the BPR6EIX's are available in two gap sizes and when I bought mine I was assure it was the smaller gap but it still looks too high?

Can anyone enlighten me here?

Best of balance.

Neo

The plug you have is a Fine Wire Iridium center electrode

Yes that is correct but it's the "Ground Electrode" that stands so high and because of the shape and thickness of it, closing the gap will still leave in high at the curved (bend) part.

Hopefully you know what I mean?

Best of balance.

Neo