Sticker Residue

fred_savage

I want to replace the swing arm stickers on my 09, the bike looks fine apart from chips in the brittle stickers fitted from new. I note that the adhesive residue left behind when small pieces of the sticker comes off appear to well bonded to the frame and I expect that when I remove the originals a large amount of residue will be left behind making it awkward to fit new items. In addition I am considering fitting smaller stickers from another model, so I would have to clean off any exposed old adhesive. Any one cleaned up their swing arm successfully? What cleaner/solvent did you use?

Fred.

Edited by Fred_Savage

My brother in law is a car valeter,

so i have Tar and Glue remover. Best thing.

be carefull with petrol and Brake cleaner. I forst tried that on my Raga, and the paint came off the swing arm.

but yeah i agree, hot air gun and use your thumb to roll of the Glue. Safest and 2nd best way.

Be VERY careful using petrol it is really bad to breath in or have in contact with your skin.

I would have to strongly disagree: All women LOVE the Au De 2 stroke

Also a good vintage of petrol (dependent on the week it was refined) will give you the MOST glorious happy feelings if inhaled. :D

Alright I am just being a smart B)

Yes, do be careful with the petrol.

Think I'm overstating the dangers of using petrol to clean your bike? Especially when the fumes have not been passed through a good working catalytic converter..... like from a trials bike!

Here's a clip from an article on Unleaded fuel by Richard Giles which you might like to browse through. It is only one mans conclusion, but if it's anywhere near the mark, unleaded fuel is really quite dodgy stuff.

"The non-lead ingredients added to petrol to stop pinging and maintain octane ratings are known as aromatics. They are from a category of organic substance known as VOCs

I had heard the stuff about the lead substitutes being a lot more harmful than the lead but like all things it has been ignored by goverments etc due to it fitting in with their own views, mainly that lead is bad even though it was used for years without the effects that were claimed to occur

I had heard the stuff about the lead substitutes being a lot more harmful than the lead but like all things it has been ignored by goverments etc due to it fitting in with their own views, mainly that lead is bad even though it was used for years without the effects that were claimed to occur

The goverment won't tell us how bad things really are, as long as they are making tons of money from it. Big business and the government run the show, we get the peanuts....."There are many natural carcinogens. Aflatoxin B1, which is produced by the fungus Aspergillus flavus growing on stored grains, nuts and peanut butter, is an example of a potent, naturally-occurring microbial carcinogen."