How Do You Road Register A Used Beta Evo?

whackywoody

Hi,

I know the topic has been covered many times but I have road registered a used Gasser before with no problems but this is different and the DVLA are gettings on my t*%s! :lol:

The bike is less than three years old and has not been road registered before.

The story so far!!

Certificate of newness and proof of import tax (VAT 414) obtained from importer John Lampkin's

V55/5 completed (stating bike is non homologation) and all necessary paperwork above along with insurance certificate, driving license, proof of address were submitted to the Chester DVLA office. DVLA Chester contact me by phone and advise me they require the bike to be inspected but I advise them that the bike is a non homolgation model (doesn't require type approval) and the answer I get is the Beta Evo is not on their standard list. The paperwork was returned at my request and having spoke with Lampkin's they concurred that the bike doesn't need inspecting as it is a non homolgation model. As Lampkin's deal with Leed's DVLA office I thought I would send the same paperwork to Leeds DVLA - Another phone call from DVLA requesting the bike is inspected by them!! Heelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllpppp!! ;)

Please can anyone help or advise me what to do next as I don't want to take the day off work to take my bike to the DVLA to see some mu&*ett who will try to justify his job by saying something is wrong with my bike meaning more hassle etc etc!!

P.S. Loving the EVO so far!!!!

Hey,

From what I've heard from people who have had their bikes inspected by the DVLA for registration, the only thing they check is that the frame and engine numbers match the paperwork. I'm not sure for definite though as thankfully when I registered my monkeybike, the DVLA office in Aberdeen didn't ask to see the bike so it saved me some hassle.

Anyway, goodluck and hopefully it won't be too much more of a pain in the hoop to get it sorted.

From what I've heard from people who have had their bikes inspected by the DVLA for registration, the only thing they check is that the frame and engine numbers match the paperwork.

In my case, and I've done a trials bike and an enduro bike, the inspection is a formality. They did just check the engine and frame numbers and that the bike was a trials/enduro bike and therefore exempt from the full roadworthy test. We are lucky that we have this exemption, it means that you can get a trials/enduro bike registered without all the road equipment. Mirrors, tyres etc etc etc.

I am lucky as my local office is at Worcester and is only 20 miles away, but I'm pretty sure there is no way to avoid it once they've chosen your bike to test. They obviously only do a sample number and not every one.

I didn't even take mine off the trailer, I just made it look as new as I could. Good clean, pumped the tyres up and put the front lights back on.

I hope this helps.

Pete