Swm 1982 Clutch Fix

reginald

You have to replace the counterweight, which is easy enough as all the Rotax enduro motors use the correct nut.

For the "eagle eyed" amongst you.........its also possible to use a kicksart with this case :blush: I broke this one before I rode the first section and had to bump start it all day.

Martin

Is that your comp. bike that was written about in Classic Dirt Bike magazine Martin? Regardless - tidy bike !!!

Dave from classic rider 444 mentioned this wasn't a huge benefit to the action of the Aprillia style case and actuating arm?

Whats your opinion?

Edited by reginald

Did you adjust the screw on the clutch arm when you swapped the cases ? If not unscrew it a quarter turn at a time (take up the slack on the cable) and see if that cures it.

If not it sounds like clutch springs. I rebuilt an Aprilia TX300 recently that had exactly the same problem. This one was running on 4 clutch springs and was super light in the first 3 gears and slipped like hell in top. I stuck another 2 springs in and it cured it.

That fixed it - thanks for the advice - While the screw had similar distance out from case mechanism this obviously would be different on the two bikes due to clutch plate thickness/wear etc - so adjustment as per the owners manual you supplied way back when did the trick. Also the cable nipple had slipped up the actuator arm slot so i got some adjustment back at the lever as well by closing that slot. I'm now running 4 XR valve springs and 2 SWM standard [?] springs - light at the lever and no slippage in 6th. Still doesn't fully disengage using two fingers but isn't an issue for non stop and a little rear brake if I do stop- very happy with set up now.

Edited by reginald

Yes its the bike that was mentioned in CDB, although it doesn't get used much as I am mainly riding enduros on SWM's this season.

The Aprilia case is a big benefit, apart from the action which is loads better than the standard set up, the case is a lot slimmer, its 2 piece - so you can change the plates without removing the kickstart and you dont get the "kickstart punching a hole in the cover" problem.

Glad you got your clutch sorted.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 23/9/2010 at 3:40 AM, reginald said:

Hi Guys,

A very helpful past owner of my 1982 tl 320 let me know how he set the clutch up. As follows:

• replaced clutch springs with 6 xr 650 valve springs A$35.00,
  • whacked on a venhill clutch cable and
  • uses a magura lever rather than standard

It works like a ty now, its great. I believe the plates were replaced with barnetts but still confirming that.

Hi, I have an aprilia TX 300 with the engine block (crankcase and clutch) of an aprilia climber. Bring the original air-cooled cylinder. I would like to leave the clutch softer and I am looking for some docks to make it softer. Being a rotax engine may be worth the other models. Can someone help me? I will be very grateful. Thank you very much.
Narciso

• 1 year later...
On 9/24/2011 at 5:15 PM, b40rt said:

2.10 = part no 239.620 16.6 wide

2.34 = part no 239.625 16.80 wide

2.46 = part no 239.741 18mm wide

All 7 coils.

Think 239.741 must be standard, I'm currently running 3 x 620 + 3 x 625.

@midlife

• 2 months later...

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

B40rt who supplied the rotax springs ? On my tx300 , after a month of eating protein bars and going to the gym I can just about pull the clutch with one hand! 

Glen, that was back in 2011, got the springs from Peter. Can Martin supply ? Or failing that the ex army Rotax people maybe ?

• 1 month later...

At the recent Mont Ventoux trial I saw a novel SWM clutch fix on a 320 that I can pass on, sadly no photo's.  This bike had been restored and well fettled and it had a pully / cam which had been attached to the frame just below the bottom of the petrol tank. This allowed the routeing of the cable to be a straight pull up from the crankcase. This coupled with the longer arm and larger ball bearing kit made it a one finger job... and kept the original case... I have to say out of all the Swm clutch's I sampled over the weekend, was by far and away the best.  Et volia...