DALES CLASSIC Saturday 25th Sept.

westyfield

Dales Classic Trial... 25/9/2010 Sacheveral Farm, Elton, Derbyshire

Prior to The Clubs Championship round 7, riders gathered on a bright and chill, yet poignant Saturday afternoon for two minutes silence to remember fellow competitor, Ged Speed, a true enthusiast and staunch club supporter. Ged passed away recently following a short illness at the age of 69. A collection was later made and donations forwarded to Chesterfield's Ashgate Hospice and to the RSPCA. Ged's funeral took place near his home in Hasland early last week and was well attended not only with family and friends but also many of Ged's motorcycle pals.

This new trials venue, set in a disused lead mining and limestone quarry not far from Carsons Farm produced both rocky and grassy sections in abundance with great scope for future events. The day attracted 58 riders to tackle the nine sections over five laps.

Overall winners, Mick Ash, James; and Simon Critchley, Yamaha; went clean followed by a trio on four marks lost. Mike Ransom, Francis Barnett; Pete Carson, Bantam; and Paul Cook, Montesa.

A notable ride on his big Matchless was put in by Michael Mison losing just five marks to head the Pre-Unit class. Dave Pattison struggled to tame the exit of "the bomb hole", section two, leaving him on eight marks lost but heading the Unit-Con class.

The Clubman Route took a mark each off local brothers, Pete and Michael Kirkman riding their Enfield and C15 bikes respectively while Barrie Rodgers guided the ex works Enfield round for just two dabs. Paul Beswick had a clean ride, well ahead of the twin-shock field on his Ossa. Did I overhear that Paul is to try his hand on the expert route next season?

The Pre-65 Two-Stroke class brought a tie for first place between regular club stalwarts, the two Dave's, Pickering and McGregor, both on six marks lost. Dave Pickering edged the result on his 1954 Francis Barnett ahead of Dave McGregors younger 1965 Greeves.

Round 8 is on Sunday November 14th at Youlgreave. Full results, news and photographs at http://dalesclassic.wordpress.com/

If you would like a copy of the video of this trial, drop me a line. I can't guarantee I picked everyone up but you are welcome to see.

The next Club event is our Trials Demostration at the Stafford Classic Bike Show in a couple of weeks. The usual suspects will be in attendance on the indoor club stand as well as riding the outside sections a couple of times each day.