sikaflex or not?

twinkletoes

sorry this has been done to death a bit, however i am about to either sikaflex the rim tape edges on my evo rim or try a re fit of the tape.it will hold air reasonably well when not being ridden, however once set at trial pressures and ridden it flattens in no time at all.this is what leads me to think it is the tape.however when submerged in the bath i cant see any bubbles from the spoke nipples.annoying and confusing.

anyone got a link to rypusa tech articles on how to refit the tape as it is supposed to fitted?

or shall i just clean it up with thinners then goo it up with sikaflex (which number/type?).is tiger seal the same stuff?

cant wait til i can get a DID style rim and a set of spokes!!!

i ve read the various threads on here but cannot decide which way to attack it.

any advice from folks who have sorted this situation much appreciated.

cheers

Here's the link you're looking for: http://www.sherco.com/wayne/Rim%20Band%20R...nt%20Manual.pdf

I've never seen it mentioned but I discovered (the hard way)that the strap isn't symmetrical. There's a taper to the edges if you look at it in cross-section. The narrower flat surface fits towards the rim. Took a couple of trys to find that. I don't know if they're all the same or whether they've changed the design but I thought it worth mentioning.

I've been using a one piece strap/stem lately: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/20517-rim-tapes/ & http://www.tryalsshop.com/#ecwid:category=162632&mode=product&product=359060 . Can't get that one wrong.

Edited by STEVEC

As a tip, I have found that getting the rim tape fully seated under the top edge of the rim groove is a big deal, as they will and can pop out and be dislodged and will leak.

Going round this edge with a small screwdriver or similar to insure the top edge is fully set under and seated is important, and you will likely find(narrow) the edge sealing defects by submerging it. Not to mention, punctures in the band due to heavy hand on the irons.

The standard valve is key as well, yet leaks will be isolated to that area. I do not use a spacer the thickness of the band, Toss it so you can seal things off lightly with the nut on the stem! :rolleyes:

Good lube, and lots! :rolleyes:

My guess is if the rim is holding at low pressure before riding the sokes may be loose? Has the wheel been trued/tensioned? if not then get it done with the tape off.

betas are the worse as their nipples seem too big, i have had some success with grinding off the tops which makes the tape sit much much better.

Avoid sikaflex if possible.

My guess is if the rim is holding at low pressure before riding the sokes may be loose? Has the wheel been trued/tensioned? if not then get it done with the tape off.

betas are the worse as their nipples seem too big, i have had some success with grinding off the tops which makes the tape sit much much better.

Avoid sikaflex if possible.

after years of failing to seal rims I found a jitsie tape with built in valve and loads of rubber grease worked a treat.Got two rims sealed this way now with no problems

Hi

I use mountain bikers " No Tube" tape on top of spokes, then add latex type sealant over tape.

I then dust rim seal with talc, add latex under valve and fit seal starting at valve.

This is the only way I have been able to seal tubless tyres.

Check out www.justridingalong.com

Geebee

well i ve just taken the tyre off and guess what - there is sikaflex and plumbers silicone in there!! (the bike is very recently new to me)spoke heads have been siliconed over/around and then the rim tape fitted with sikaflex around the edges.and it still leaked.

worryingly someone has scracthed an X indicating where the rim has been joint welded - badly - there is a noticeable flat spot 1cm long on each side. aside from being a rubbish design, it seems this rim is badly made too.and the spoke heads are way too big for thier countersinks. Anybody else had sealing problems on a duff welded rim or are they all a bit ropey?

gonna try a major clean up, re sikaflex over the spoke heads/full channel smoothly, let it set, fit a new rim tape using tyre soap then see where that gets me.more frustrated probably!

.........i mean i love tinkering as much as the next man but this is a major pain in the A.