Tell me about the TY175

charliechitlins

The 250 forks are a little bigger diameter than the 175's.

It's a common mod that helps stops flex & improves steering.

The wheel & brake are the same on 175 & 250.

Do a search on here for improvements & mods, plenty to do.

Get some good shocks, full alloy exhaust & improve airbox - will help make it competitive.

One was being ridden well at The Peak Trial.

It was good test for a modern bike!

I just had one of those not long ago... it needed freshening, but I sold it instead, compared to my Cota 200 and Fantic 240 it was basically unrideable.

I dont normally question or argue with others posts - but that is just rubbish,there is nothing at all wrong with a bog standard TY175.Granted they are easy to improve upon,but if its in good order its only the skill of the rider that is the limiting factor.I think Mick Andrews and Yamaha did rather well for the time,cosidering how many are still working hard and being enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Had one a few years ago, made the mistake of buying it and stripping it down without riding it first.

Tried it on a few classic rounds and found out it didn't have the power i wanted and it kinda put me off the whole twinshock thing at the time.

I do like the look of them but I think they might be fine for the lighter riders out there.

I picked one up about a year ago. I have ridden it in a couple of Vintage Trails, does fine. I never did take the time to sort it out properly but it had plenty of power and a very good turning radius. I normally ride a TY250 which I do like better - even though it is a bit heaver.

I quit riding mine when I checked on the price of some spares. They cost 2 or 3 times what I can buy the same part for my TY250s. Probably should sell it as it's just sitting in the garage.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a TY175 and love it, they have an amazing bullet proof engine that never quite seems to run out of puff. I am 11 stone and it suits me fine for all yellow/red routes that I do. I even took it to Spain in 2008 and did hte 30Km Rpbregordo. The standard forks are 32mm where as the TY250 are 34mm, very common to change them to beef up the front end. I would say in standard trim the only real short comings are the gear change mechanism what seem to have more neutrals than gears and that the wheelbase is a bit short and the front comes up with very little encouragement - a nuisance going up hills! I found that doing a 'Sammy Miller' and climbing all over the front of the bike does keep it down but it's not a position I've had to get into with other bikes.

Ask a 100 people and you will get 100 different answers, try it and see. Do you know there are even people out there who like the Bultaco?! :blush: