XJO 277 Ex Works BSA.

charlie prescott

Got to be careful there, if both machines exist and the frame and motor numbers are identical then there is a legal matter that the DVLA would pursue vigourously, as there should never be two machines using the same registration mark. Prosecution and impounding of the vehicles and eventually crushing is an option open to the authorities. Effectively "ringing".

Big John

Hi Guy's

Hi Big "J"

Well I can assure you that I owned the bike XJO 277. and so do the DVLA if they look up the records.

So I do not have a problem with that. I have a photo in an ORR reference library Vol two page 65 with Arthur and Colin Pinder aboard. In The same volume on page 27 there is a picture of Dan Shorey and me in the 1962 Tanners Trudge. My first day passengering for Dan. I was unfortunately described has a female in this shot (what-ever).

Regards Charlie.

• 1 month later...

hi it was not unusual for works bikes to end up with the same reg nos , a few years ago when i was devolping the fantic outfits one of our first big events was the inter centre team trial held near banbury , although we rode for different centres at one group of sections we parked the three outfits in a row ,a well respected journalist (the late rafe venables) called me over as he had noticed they all had the same reg no a quick check on the tax discs , i had the original but the others were duplicates , roy carey (the fantic importer )declined to comment.if charlie wants some info on 60s-70s chairs i can assist having built most of the ones i have ridden over the years including the first fantic for the factory in italy,the latest being on a 1953 panther last year on which i have just ridden the talmag, my first outing for 7 years will hawkes.

• Like 2

Hi Guy's,

Hi Will.

Welcome to TC.

I have finished the frame work for the Kendell replica sidecar, to fit to the Ariel HS frame, has I am building that up as a replica of the outfit that Dan Shorey and myself used to ride.

But I have a BSA, frame C15T WD type, and have pulled the seat tubes in, this frame is now redundant has I have pinched the WD B40 motor for another project.

So what sprung to mind was to put a chair onto this, has I am building up a 300cc BSA engine unit, and this would make a good test bed.

So any information about 70-80 ies type chair's dimensions ETC would be more than welcome, Will.

Regards Charlie.

hi it was not unusual for works bikes to end up with the same reg nos , a few years ago when i was devolping the fantic outfits one of our first big events was the inter centre team trial held near banbury , although we rode for different centres at one group of sections we parked the three outfits in a row ,a well respected journalist (the late rafe venables) called me over as he had noticed they all had the same reg no a quick check on the tax discs , i had the original but the others were duplicates , roy carey (the fantic importer )declined to comment.if charlie wants some info on 60s-70s chairs i can assist having built most of the ones i have ridden over the years including the first fantic for the factory in italy,the latest being on a 1953 panther last year on which i have just ridden the talmag, my first outing for 7 years will hawkes.

Bob and Me thought you had died (from eating toooo much meow meow)..Slip

• 2 years later...

Hi Guy's.

For you Deryk.

I will add one note. that I remember. When we first got the bike off of the Pickup. Nobby said it should have the funny forks on. These had been removed and replaced with a brand new pair of BSA forks.

And a single sided Gold Star front brake. I found the forks OK , they did twist on occasions , but were good for the job, the fork yokes were from a different model. I think for use with a sidecar fitted.

As i said I eventually removed the Alloy bolt on body and made one from glass fiber even moulding the nose.

Issue number 19 ORR. if I remember , is a picture of Dan and me on the Ariel that I am replicating, on the inside front cover or just after, I will have to look it out.

Regards Charlie www.bsaotter.com :icon_salut:

Hi, Charlie,

Should have added to my last thread, somewhere in my loft I have the 6 x 4.5 colour transparencies of the ex-Darrieulat outfit that I used in the article for an unmentionable Classic magazine, which resulted in me never writing for that publisher again, and then starting ORR.........

I will start a hunt when the weather gets better - it's cold up there......

Regards,

Deryk

Hi Guys,

Thanks Deryk,

I would love a copy of that photo, and any more you have, just let me. Know how much I owe you . But I do already!!!

You have started something again ?

I bet other guys will want other stuff from the Off Road Review era?

Best tail I have written on here is named " Ron and Doug" heroes .

Type it in,

A tail for Christmas maybe??

Just searched out an old photo of Ted Freeman riding my Triumph Cub in 1963 ?

First one out of the factory with the side points!!!!!

But that's another tail.

Just thought of someone I need to contact again from the sidecar forum?

Used to ride a works BSA passenger that is!!

Laters .

Regards Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

I have stacks of photos of Ron Langston and Doug Cooper - we are old friends - Ron's wife shared cancer treatment with my fist wife, etc.

So many of the old crowd are no longer with us, Arthur Pulman and Lyn, Peter Roydhouse, Jack Matthews.

For my sins I introduced the French to sidecar trials, when I worked in Paris I was coerced into helping organise the St Cucufa trial, and put on a sidecar demonstration in 1964, with six outfits, which I conducted round the course, taking them on detours in various placed where it was just too narrow to get through - my abiding memory is of riding my solo flat out with the six crews chasing, led by Alec Wright with John Gazely in the chair, with his fron wheel on one side of my bike and the sidecar nose on the other.

I bought the Ossa outfit that they built and rode for a while, and rode with Mary in the chair for a couple of seasons.

Hence my interest in the chariot brigade.

Deryk

Hi Guys,

Hi Deryk.

What I remember most from the sixties chair scene, Is the amount of outfits about then.

DK Mansell, ETC ,always 100 plus chairs, and all crews the best of mates.

Some stood out more than others, but only because they were loud characters.

Roy Cope was one ,the guy would always have a go at every section ,usually flat out ,Passenger Aub Smith did not say a lot unless arguing with Roy about there last section attempt ,but just hung on.

Some of the Northern boys were vocal, but I could not understand a word most of them said then.

Well I did grow up in an isolated village ,and only spoke North Oxfordshire, I did understand the Cotswold boys though and for some reason the boys from Devon and Cornwall Much the same dialect I have been told. Such such fun , I can't believe we have let it slip away.

One little isolated pocket is the IOM though.

Regards Charlie

Hi Charlie et al.,

As promised, a couple of shots of 'XJO' in the Frank Darrieulat format, two of the photographs featured in an article for 'Classic Bike' that resulted in me never writing another word for any EMAP publication. ( I had made a mistake in a caption and they refused to put in a correction for me - said it would make it appear they didn't know what they were talking about...........)

Regaards

Deryk

post-19290-0-68792600-1387576572_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-31698100-1387576599_thumb.jpg

Charlie,

I keep working on converting my archive into electronic format, so that I can make it available for anybody to use on their iPad, tablet or PC, for either reference purposes - or just for interest sake - but I have to admit that the old bugbear of people who do not know me from Adam, assume automatically that I am THE puritanical villain wishing to destroy their enjoyment of riding bikes by suggesting 'exclusive rules' (one of the typical recent comments to one of my postings) when I am actually the bod who merely wanted to do something so that ordinary working class people could carry on riding.

I went about it by creating a totally inclusive set of rules that enabled riders of any old bike to continue riding them in trials - my only exception was that any obviously 'fiddle' bikes should ride on a no results published basis, so that they could enjoy their day out but not spoil it for those who couldn't afford the expensive fiddles but had to ride whatever old nail they owned.

I then persuaded the A-CU and the AMCA to allow riders of either persuasion to ride in each others classic trials - for up to then if you held an A-CU licence and rode (in your own name) in an AMCA event, your A-CU licence was revoked.

So if that was not the way to enable inclusive riding for enjoyment, then I really do give in.

However, in spite of my misgivings, I am continuing for now - and in the meantime the old grey matter has been churning and I remembered the BSA Gold Star outfit that Arthur Lampkin rode, primarily just for fun and often with his close friend Peter Roydhouse, in the chair. Also in the chair it was nut unusual to find adequate 'provisions' for the day, a pristine white tablecloth, a hamper of local food of the dales, and enough good wine to enjoy with the picnic. True enjoyment, often way up on old drover's roads across the Pennine moors.

Here is a picture of the outfit - and I.m sure you might recognise the number (the passenger is Colin Pinder - on this occasion) .......

Cheers

Deryk

post-19290-0-19443600-1388237961_thumb.jpg