Montesa 349 frame number

nickp349

Hi there I am currently trying to get my Montesa Cota 349 on the road and I am looking for the frame number to find out how old it is.

I have been intouch with sandiford and they have said it should be on the headstock but I cannot find it. I gave them the engine number and they say it is a MH349 but the tank says cota 349, prehaps the engine was changed?

Any help much appriciated.

Cheers, Nick

The MH350 has a metal vin plate riveted to the head stock,any signs of 4 small holes on the lefthand side of the headstock on yours?

Has the frame got bolt on engine steady's to the rear of the engine? (indicating an earlier 349 which would be pre 81)or a full frame with is either a montesa 349-4(82) or an MH350?(83-84)

The MH350 has a metal vin plate riveted to the head stock,any signs of 4 small holes on the lefthand side of the headstock on yours?

Has the frame got bolt on engine steady's to the rear of the engine? (indicating an earlier 349 which would be pre 81)or a full frame with is either a montesa 349-4(82) or an MH350?(83-84)

Hi thanks.

I cant find any evidence of a plate or number unfortunatly.

there is no bolted on engine stay and the exaust front pipe is the one which curves streight up, not down and up.

is there many differences between the later 349-4 and the MH350's?

Cheers Nick

The Cota 349/4, Cota 350 and MH349 are the last model in the 349 range and are essentially the same bike in different colour schemes, I think the only difference is that the MH349 may have different forks (same make, different spec) but I'm not 100% certain of that. The front exhaust on all three comes sideways out of the front frame tubes and up and over the right of the head (right as in when you sit on the bike) On the original 349 it goes straight up and over the head between the two frame tubes. The swingarm on all three is kicked up at the rear spindle whereas on the original it is straight. The frames on the original red and the white models differs from the later three.

Look here for pictures of the original red 349 along with the white model and the later Cota 350

http://www.ataq.qc.ca/galerie/index.php?folder=/Mus%E9e/Montesa/&page=1