Trials bike class Vancouver Island?

danster

New member (beginer)looking to get into the sport and want to know what levels of competition there are on vancouver Island.

I have no interest in hopping around on one wheel so was looking into twinshocks and posibly building a bike so could someone point me in a direction for more information? So far looks like the twinshock requirments are Twinshocks, aircooled, drum brakes.

Dan

I do not believe you will find any official rules for twinshocks in Canada. I have ridden twinshock classes for many years and it is just generally accepted that you are supposed to ride a bike that originally came with 2 shocks. It is normally just a fun outing on the old iron. DonD (Vancouver area)

New member (beginer)looking to get into the sport and want to know what levels of competition there are on vancouver Island.

I have no interest in hopping around on one wheel so was looking into twinshocks and posibly building a bike so could someone point me in a direction for more information? So far looks like the twinshock requirments are Twinshocks, aircooled, drum brakes.

Dan

Dan,

I think you can find a few up there who can help you out. I noticed Fracy found your initial input as well, good guy to know. Might find Outlaw Dave close as well.

Long story made short, unless you are just hell bent on doing a old vintage bike, you might be well advised to spend the money on a later bike in good condition that you can get out on.

They are far superior in most respects, and you can join any group without being handicapped with the gear.

Seeme there are some that just like to go the old way, but i would not reccomend it to most. They doit mostly for nostalgia,then throw them back in the shed.

Not for regular riding. :rolleyes:

Find the best you can afford, you will have enough upkeep withouy rebuilding a wreeeck!

Dan

Hi Dan, There are quite a few of us in the Comox valley with trials bikes and some great areas to ride. Everyone here rides the newer style machines. Trialscanada would be a good place to look for bike, dealer info?? The modern style bikes are Soo... nice. Paul

Part of the reason for twin shock is posibly lower impact? older posibly cheaper bikes? I don't see myself hopping around on one wheel (2 kids and don't want to be damaged, I need to make it to work on mondays) So if not twin shock what class would I be able to start in I am 35 and just starting out. Once I get a bike local rides and looking to try competing for fun?

Dan

Hello Danster, You can pick up some pretty good used starters on the island here for anywhere from 1600-2000 asking price,these are well used but still have much life left, expecially if your mecanically inclined. (which you must be if you thinking old twin shocker).The modern bikes have lots of stand over room and are lighter not mention many more advantages over the old twin spring and you Dont have to hop on one wheel if you got one, you ride at your own pace with the newfound grin on your face until Monday when you head to work. You can head down to Vic or Shawn and ride in the junior class to get your taste of competition. Paul

Dan:

There are two active clubs on the lower island. My club, the ISTC has 600 acres of land to use on the west side of Shawnigan lake. All of our club events have a vintage class in them which is open to any twinshock bike. The Victoria Motorcycle Club also has a vintage class in all of there events too.

The crew up your way is very active and does ride every weekend as far as I know. If you have any questions pls email me direct ok.

Steve

Part of the reason for twin shock is posibly lower impact? older posibly cheaper bikes? I don't see myself hopping around on one wheel (2 kids and don't want to be damaged, I need to make it to work on mondays) So if not twin shock what class would I be able to start in I am 35 and just starting out. Once I get a bike local rides and looking to try competing for fun?

Dan

I think you will actually have LESS impact on a newer bike, with MUCH better operation of importan things like disk brakes and hydro clutch. One cannot compare!

You are far from old, by comparison with many, you might be the young tart! The old ones are the ones you gotta watch, as they are good in the sections, and you need a decent bike to stay up!Although, you do not have to kill yourself in the process, you can always ride your own pace.

There is no disgrace in punching out of a section above your comfort level.

OK looks like everyone has pretty much the same response with getting a newer bike and the cost doesn't seam that much different for a older twinshock in resonable shape to a newer bike with disks and mono (I won't ask which one is better with reading other posts I can predict that response).

Thanks for all the helpfull responses maybe my brother wants to store his bike(scorpa with a longride seat tank) in my garage for a while.

Dan

OK looks like everyone has pretty much the same response with getting a newer bike and the cost doesn't seam that much different for a older twinshock in resonable shape to a newer bike with disks and mono (I won't ask which one is better with reading other posts I can predict that response).

Thanks for all the helpfull responses maybe my brother wants to store his bike(scorpa with a longride seat tank) in my garage for a while.

Dan

You would do well to get hold of that Scorpa Yam. Might keep an eye out for something like a Montesa 315 as well.

These seem to make good flexable and user friendly starter bikes. There are others as well. Seems most 250's make a decent bike for a sportsman.

Fracy can probably tell you all about them old bikes. I think he may still have one, Fantic me thinks. Great old bikes, but if he is anything like me, he probably just knocks the dust off it on occasion, takes it out for about a half hour to blow out the cobwebs, then stuffs it back into the shed. :rolleyes:

Several things just totally you about most any bike within the last decade. For the most part, one finger perfect operation of brakes and clutch, the loss of about 50 pounds of girth so the bikes are not bad to handle even if you get stuck, and good suspension.

All combined, makes for a lot easier day without the bike beating you up!

Edited by copemech

I ride both,

50 / 50

vintage lines are generally easier requiring far less clutch/break, simply ride smooth, stay centred and practice the fundamentals, less impactive on my body.

modern is great, completely different of style of riding, i find a little more impactive on my body, stop and go, more power and certainly ride tougher, tighter sections and bigger obstacles.

jmo

Thanks for you responses So a couple of bikes possibly locally available are a Fantic 403 mono shock and possibly a 84 TY both bikes are mono shocks and most likely within budget would either bike be a bad starting place? And if it did lead to attempting a competition (novice beginer) would I get buy for a while or will the bike limit what competitions I can enter or my performance right away?

Dan

The old bunch do get out for an easy ride in the competitions as Borus stated, but two things come to mind on older bikes, parts and support are nil, you are limiting your experience with a limited bike.

They have their place, it is all good, but yet a much more limited class of riders. You are young, do not limit yourself, the other is optional,and limited.

I could just put all this in another way! I am 53 years old. I rode a fair amount as example when they was new in the 70's. They were crap then and still are, so I stayed with MX untill times passed. Riding new ones, I do not miss those slugs! Spoiled! There are few I would like or want. Just being practicle here. Opinions may vary. Don't want a shed queen!

When it comes to choosing what bike to ride, it really depends on what "Turns you on" - Most people who ride the vintage bikes do so because they love the nostalgia of the old machines, they spend hours on "fettling" to improve the way they perform, this often includes fitting new style 2 ply tires ( the old bikes had 4 ply) and higher Renthal handlebars, plus moving the footpeg position.

Although this class is small in Canada, it's huge in other parts of the World.

Being twenty years older than Copetech, I remember most of the bikes from Yesteryear, and while they can't be compared to the specialized models of today - back then they were the very best.

If it's just a case of money, the TY mono would be an excellent choice, as these can be picked up fairly cheaply. - Whatever you buy, make sure it's in good condition and get an experienced rider ( like Steve Fracy) to give you some pointers. Parts for most of the old bikes are still available, and we can help in this regard, but only you can decide on which route to take. If you would like to see some videos of the old bikes in action, we can supply them free of charge, just send me an email via this website.

Happy New Year

Outlaw Dave

hello Danster, I think I am the guy who told you about the 84 TY. The TY in question has seen some use and requires brake shoes and for seals, wider bars and a foot peg relocation and up grade. I rode that bike as a spare while my bike was out for repairs. It does get you on the trail but a higher budget of 2 to 3 grand will make your trail riding much more fun. We don't compete on the mid island as much as we trail ride and play on some tough areas on the mountains. Today was a nice ride to the snow line and the sun was great!

Higher budget and a newer bike, my advice. Hydrolic clutch and disc brakes are a must around here.