yet another - what van - sorry

hoggyf

Hi guys

Sorry but its another what van question - budget is 2 - 4.5k, thoughts are:

Transit - loads about, relatively cheap but boggo 85hp is slowwwww and they do tend to rot somewhat and aren't to hot on fuel use. 56 reg ish with 50 - 70k

Hiace - not many about considering nobody ever says anything bad about them. again 56 reg ish 50 - 70 k

Vivaro - don't them gear boxes go at 70k? I've heard that either the 5 or 6 speed doesn't have this problem but don't know which! Bit newer with similar milage

Vito - Do they come form the factory with those orange splodges ont he white paintwork? Hideously expensive when they go wrong. bit older with lots of miles

VW - lot older with lots more miles but they are nice.

And finally

Peugeot Expert/Citroen Dispatch (not hte new version)- 2.0HDi so should be quick enough, allegedly 40mpg, big enough to get my work stuff in, 3 seats and most importantly will fit my trials bike in (will they get a sports bike in?? ayone know?)don't seem to rust, Peugeo diesels go for ever. 55/56 reg 50 - 90k. But......... its a Peugeot/Citreon.

So whats the advice out there? Don't need anything bigger than a SWB low roof type.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vivaro, 3 friends have had these or the Renault version.

2 had gearbox failure below 100k the other blew the deisel pump which with its last breath blew ally filings through the injectors and wrecked the lot. None of these problems were cheap to fix.

Vito is nearest to a car to drive but agree on the rust front very poor.

I'd go for the Peugeot / Citroen. We have a picasso 2.0 HDI, probably same engine, with 105k and its still ok, fingers crossed on wooden desk ! Plenty of people speak highly of the expert / dispatch but get the HDI version. Or I have a 1998 renault master, 138k motor still good but rust is slowly taking over. Why not get a swb master / movano ? similar size to transit.

Edited by Baldilocks

bought 02 vivaro just over a year ago with faulty g/box but got it cheap. got g/box rebuilt and a laguna diff in it.higher ratio ,in 6th gear its 500rpm less than std + got it remaped.puts out 130+bhp and goes like sh,, and great fuel mpg. done over 22,000 mls in the past year and its always loaded.never gave me any trouble in that time,and drives like a car.and they dont rust like a transit or a vito.

Vivaro, 3 friends have had these or the Renault version.

2 had gearbox failure below 100k the other blew the deisel pump which with its last breath blew ally filings through the injectors and wrecked the lot. None of these problems were cheap to fix.

Vito is nearest to a car to drive but agree on the rust front very poor.

I'd go for the Peugeot / Citroen. We have a picasso 2.0 HDI, probably same engine, with 105k and its still ok, fingers crossed on wooden desk ! Plenty of people speak highly of the expert / dispatch but get the HDI version. Or I have a 1998 renault master, 138k motor still good but rust is slowly taking over. Why not get a swb master / movano ? similar size to transit.

I had already decided if its the Peugeot/citroen its deffo the HDI, Vivaro etc sounds bad, Master/Movano had sort of come into my thinking but not many of them about in deepest Cumbria.

vw transporter mines done 320000.still looks good goes very well.nice to drive.

Yeh, everyone says they're really good but it goes against the grain to pay 5k for something thats 8 yrs old with 140k on it, if I could guarantee I could get a good-un I would but knowing my luck it would be nowt but bother.

So it seems like the Expert etc is the one to go for as long as its an HDI, but has anyone tried to get a sportsbike in one? or can you give me the internal dimensions of the load bay and I'll see if the VFR would fit, not a major problem if it doesn't as I've got a bke trailer as well but its handy to know.

Pancho247 - I'm in the same boat over in Cumbria, very little in the way of dealers, to be honest I've just been trawling ebay and Autotrader website, not sure nowadays why anyone buys autotrader as I assume all of the ads are online as well as in the mag (or am I wrong?)

My brother keeps trying to get me an LDV and a trader I spoke to (who had an expert to sell) couldn't speak highly enough of them, but the firm I used to work for had some of them and the lads that drove them thought they were crap to drive - anyone any feedback, very cheap!

Hi guys

Sorry but its another what van question - budget is 2 - 4.5k, thoughts are:

Transit - loads about, relatively cheap but boggo 85hp is slowwwww and they do tend to rot somewhat and aren't to hot on fuel use. 56 reg ish with 50 - 70k

Hiace - not many about considering nobody ever says anything bad about them. again 56 reg ish 50 - 70 k

Vivaro - don't them gear boxes go at 70k? I've heard that either the 5 or 6 speed doesn't have this problem but don't know which! Bit newer with similar milage

Vito - Do they come form the factory with those orange splodges ont he white paintwork? Hideously expensive when they go wrong. bit older with lots of miles

VW - lot older with lots more miles but they are nice.

And finally

Peugeot Expert/Citroen Dispatch (not hte new version)- 2.0HDi so should be quick enough, allegedly 40mpg, big enough to get my work stuff in, 3 seats and most importantly will fit my trials bike in (will they get a sports bike in?? ayone know?)don't seem to rust, Peugeo diesels go for ever. 55/56 reg 50 - 90k. But......... its a Peugeot/Citreon.

So whats the advice out there? Don't need anything bigger than a SWB low roof type.

Hi, I am about to sell my very tidy VW T4 888 special, 53 plate, Captains seats, electric this and that, cruise control, very clean. PM me if you want some pics.

Edited by Fred_Savage

Yeh the Hiace is good but theres so few about its bloody hard to buy one - saw one in Preston the other week looked good etc, when i rang up to go and look at it, it was already sold.

Still thinking the Expert is gonna be the one in allround value for money.