TY80 Starting

john b

Hi there

Hopefully someone can give me a bit of advice on my son's TY80

It starts from cold no problem, choke on and first or second kick. Problem is when it's warmed up, it won't start. I've tried full throttle (as I would with a flooded engine) but that doesn't work either. If you then bump it, it starts no problem (within a couple of seconds). Leave the bike a while, then it starts no problem (ie - today after packing up, drove home (15 minutes) took the bike off the trailer - petrol on, choke on and it started first kick !!)

any advice appreciated

cheers

John

I had a simular problem with my sisters Ty80 some times after it warmed up it didnt want to start so we had to keep bump starting it we also noticed that it was pouring out petrol from around the carb so what iv done is cleaned all of the muck out of the carb and now it goes perfectley, hope this is of help to you

Clean your carb , it's most likely to fat to fire back up ...

My son's ty80 still starts first or second kick even though it needs a new top end !

And if that doesn't do the trick , make sure the point gap is correct , they are very sensitive to their timing ...

And I've got a fresh ported top end to go on the boys Whitehawk replica , just haven't got a round'toit yet !

It still lives !

Glenn

And yeah that was the first time he rode it after the suspension and wheel swap and he's only 10 there ... I know " get off your a$$ and finish the kids bike !!!!! "

Edited by axulsuv

Thanks for that!

I'm sure it's carb related. My dad rebuilt the bike just before Xmas , all of the electrics were replaced but we only fired it up to check it was running (was a non runner when we got it). I'm sure it's a simple fix so I'll check the points (do you know what the gap should be ?) and strip and clean the carb.

Whitehawk replica looks good ! my son is 8 (nearly 9) and he reckons it's his ty80, then either my Tl125 or montesa 172. he's been out on the ty80 twice now and can start, ride and stop an easy section so loves it !

Cheers

John

Edited by John B