Polishing Alloy Frame

ianj

Hi all,

Plan is to strip down my bike over the next few months......wanna polish the frame. Any hints/tips appreciated.

Also, where do I get Mont sticker kits from?

Ian.

PS. If it gets anything like approaching the pic below then........!

mont1.jpg

You can make sanding mops by putting a lengthwise slot in a piece rod that will fit in your....whatever---dremel, drill, hand grinder--- Slip a piece of sandpaper into the slot and wrap it around the rod. Rip it off little by little as it wears. Use plenty of water.Those frames are pretty smooth; you can probably start with #320 or #400, and go to 600 and 1000. Experiment, as always, somewhwere you can't see it.

Then use a felt tip and polishing compound. You should be able to get some with a 1/4" shank that will fit in a hand drill.

Finish by hand with aluminum polish. I use Simichrome.

Much easier if you have a hand grinder. You can get all kinds of polishing tips. It will still be difficult, messy work.

As polishing and buffing is the first step in chrome plating, you might consider sending it to a plater and having their experienced polisher do the job for you. It's a little expensive, though. In the US, you could figure on $30-$40/hour and 4-6 hours.

To maintain the finish, keep a thick coat of good wax on it.

My favorite, though, is clear powdercoat. It takes away a very little of the shine, but it's no-maintenance.

I've done a couple of road bike frames (GSXR's) and would recommend getting your hands on a proper polisher (hand held, obviously), and mops (you will need at least 3 or 4). I also blagged some abrasive foam pads for a grinder to initially take the anodising off the frame, but you can do it with wet and dry, going from 400 - 1200, (put some fairy liquid in the water), but it takes much longer. Once the anodising is completely removed, and the frame wet and dried (1200), get the mop out ,and the polishing soap. The soap is coloured, but as you will have made such a good job with the wet and dry (ahem), the white should be ok. Polish away, taking care not to press too hard and WATCH IT NEAR THE EDGES of the frame. If the mop catches an edge (or an exposed weld), it has a tendency to fly out of your hands. Also avoid polishing in lines as these will show up as well. When the frame is mirror like, it can be kept that way with wax based polish (i use furniture polish, it's cheap and good enough. Id also recommend wearing goggles (unless of course you would like people to think you are wearing masscara0. Good luck!!

Almost forgot, don't do the inside of the frame because it WILL oxidise, and will be a nightmare to keep polished once the engine etc is all fitted, if you do it yourself, chances are ,the next time you will send it off to be done, as the dust get's everywhere, and for the cost of a pro job ( i guess about

I lived with a polished frame for about 18 months and it didn't take much to keep looking good and didn't oxidise.

I took the frame to a local polisher, he does the R6 frames on the Endurance/MRO bikes that I work on. About

Edited by Subira