TY80 Ignition Timing and Points Gap

insultaco

Hi all.

My sons TY80 started 1st/2nd kick several times prior to this problem, from hot and cold even having stood in my mates garage for a month prior to Xmas. It got dropped repeatedly on Xmas Day (first day on a bike ever) and finally ran out of fuel. My daughter flooded it in an attempt to get it started and it ended up parked over-night in the shed. When I bumped it, it tried to go and then failed after a weak splutter. The carb was flooding.

Its now got new Main Jet, Float Needle Assy, Carb Gasket, Pilot Jet, Carb Spring and the carb has been cleaned out and blown through very carefully.

It now appears to have no spark, although it did before I renewed the carb bits because I checked several times.

The plug is a standard NGK and is in new condition, clean and gapped at .5mm.

The exhaust is attached firmly, but was lose when I checked it at the start of this saga.

It has brand new crank bearings, seals, piston and rings and gaskets all round fitted by TYTrials.

The carb had the mixture screw all the way in when I originally checked, it's now 1.5 turns out.

Questions:

The coil appears to be well earthed but old. How do I confirm it is OK with a multi meter please?

What is the points gap? I think they may have slipped in the numerous falls...

What is the BTDC in mm?

What should the float height be and where are the datum points for measuring it?

Thanks guys, Im waiting for a manual to appear, but have been let down by the post, it would be great to get this sorted for the weekend.

Cheers

Mick

was just about to say a new plug, i run a NGK B7HS as apposed to what the book says (B6HS) they tend not to burn out so quick. I would also run some sand paper accross the points to make sure they are clean. then try it.

Answers to your questions:

1. Not sure how to check, but if its old the HT lead may have broken up inside and i would renew that too, will save a lot of problems in the long run. (ive been there before). when you do that i would advise changing points fo new and the condenser.

2. Points gap is 0.35mm

3. BTDC is 1.80 +or- 0.15mm

4. Float hieght is 23mm +or- 1mm and is taken from the gasket seat to the top of the float.

hope this helps

Hi

I removed the kill switch first as that was my first thought also. I'm going to get a new plug tomorrow just in case, I've checked the points gap and BTDC and they are fine. It's sparking once in a blue moon, but only very weakly even though it is well grounded to the head.

Onwards and upwards...

Thanks for the response anyway

Mick

Edited by insultaco

A weak spark would point at the condenser. Usual setup is to move it up on the frame near the coil getting it out from the heat/dirt/oil of the engine. Very often have a broken wire in that area also.

Just something else you might want to check.

Alan

I had a one rebuilt ready for Christmas. It was a non runner and I replaced the electrics with an Ignition tune up kit from TY Trials which included condensor, points, plug etc. Prior to fitting this it had a weak intermittant spart (sparked a couple of times, missed half a dozen, sparked agin, then not etc etc). Ignition tune up kit cured it.

cheers

John