I'm lucky!

mexmex

So here is some questions, which will follow with more questions in the near future :banana2:

- Gear. I was thinking on Gaerne oiled boots (on the way) with...which is the most comfortable pants/jersey/gloves? I have the MSR ISDE Pack-Jack as very light, foldable into itself rain jacket...

- Camelback? which tools?

- How it's work on the end of the day if I want to do some mechanical work? Can I use mechanic? Do I have limited time and special space to do it?

- Can I get between fuel stops on the original gas tank or should I get auxiliary tank on the fork?

Any other recommendations, tips and ideas are more than welcome.

Cheers! :guinness:

Yoram Lavee

So here is some questions, which will follow with more questions in the near future :banana2:

- Gear. I was thinking on Gaerne oiled boots (on the way) with...which is the most comfortable pants/jersey/gloves? I have the MSR ISDE Pack-Jack as very light, foldable into itself rain jacket...

- Camelback? which tools?

- How it's work on the end of the day if I want to do some mechanical work? Can I use mechanic? Do I have limited time and special space to do it?

- Can I get between fuel stops on the original gas tank or should I get auxiliary tank on the fork?

Any other recommendations, tips and ideas are more than welcome.

Cheers! :guinness:

Yoram Lavee

first port of call is to read this -> My link

Listed below are the ideas we have come up with over the years !!

There will be full BETA service courtesy of John Lampkin, but they can only advise and hand you tools YOU MUST CARRY OUT ALL WORK ON YOUR BIKE. Register with him on the Sunday with Credit Card details and draw spares from him during the week if required. You only have to give your riding number and settle the account at the end of the week. Bloody fantastic service!

At the end of the day if you have any running time left to work on your bike, go there it costs nowt, and they look after you well.

You will require some stuff to take into park ferme, in a morning, you will have 30 minutes working time before your due start time. Do not worry too much about making time up during the day to work on your bike you can do an awful lot in 30 minutes

Centre Stand

Tool box To work on your bike in park ferme, do not use tools that you carry, you may end up leaving one important item in park ferme

Oils and sprays etc.

Washing up brush To clean and brush radiator (Best doing it with an air line at Johns, but it is always handy)

Bumbag or Rucksack

Camelpacks are good you can carry all your tools, plus you have a drink with you. You get dehydrated very easily without you realising it so take on plenty of fluids there is water at the petrol checks.

By carrying a Rucksack or Camelpack, do not strap anything to your bike. You ride it all year without anything bolted and strapped on, so ride it in Scotland like that aswell. You see these guys up there with everything strapped on their bikes, enough for the PARIS-DAKAR!

Rucksack Contents

Dog Poo- 1 strip

Dog Poo tool13mm spanner

10mm spanner

Small adjustable optional (can be used as rear wheel spanner if big enough

Front wheel allen key

Multi tool this will do all allen bolts plus screwdrivers

Tyre levers

Spare plug

Spare levers

Spare Split links for the chain make sure they fit??????

Cable ties

Electrical tape

Small mountain bike pump

Small container of petrol c600ml-1000ml these containers can be bought in Fort William. Best to carry a bit some moor crossings your bike will be on fumes, rather top up than push!!!!

I carry 2 to 3 sets of spare gloves. To change during the day if it is raining

Clothing and Boots

Scotland is like no other trial, you sweat your nuts off on the moors, and then you are freezing on the roads, unless its Sunny

Edited by GIZZA5

boots you'll need at least two pairs.. wet boots are NO fun, wear them A LOT before the trial they must be comfy. have a fresh pair od socks every day at least three pairs of riding jeans and a couple of riding jakcets ( you 'll be doing 50mph plus on the road and the weather could be anything from snow to 30 degrees C) gloves for the sections and gloves for the road. camelback is ideal get one with some carrying capacity for clothing. all the bike importers give good lists of what to wear carry see the scorpa gb and beta uk sites dependent on what bike you are riding the uk importers usually provide plenty of service space although you do have to do your own work on the bike although importers like beta will tell you what and how to do stuff as you do it. the time you have to do it comes from your time allowance to complete the route for the day so get back early and you have time to do some work get in late and you have no time

you wont need an auxillary tank unless you are riding and evo and even then you should be ok.

i assume your renting a bike? beta and gas gas usually have the biggest set ups others are available though. chack out as much video as you can to understand what gear people use etc etc and keep asking questions on here.. Dont forget your accomadation you need to get that sorted NOW. you want to be in fort william no more than a mile form the town center and preferably as close to the parc ferme at the west end carpark as possible.

best to get some where near as on your late days it's a nightmare to find a place to park,if it's wet and it will be, you'll wreck your car/van interior having being covered in mud and water for eight and a half hours.

just much easier to walk two minutes to the start.

West end is best if you can get a room. Its always busy of an evening, good food, plenty of beer and a stones through from the start/finish. Its right at the end of the main street too so a very short walk to other pubs and restaurants. Even though we are no accommodated at the Ben Nevis we still end up in the west end most nights.

Well done sir on getting an entry ! You will truly experience a week you will remember for the rest of your life !

1992 when I rode my one and only Scottish is still very much in my mind today!

Seems people have covered the Bike and accomadation etc side of things already.

My best tip to you is GET FIT - VERY FIT start training NOW the fitter you are the easier it will be for you. 200 km's per day is tough going - especially on the soft peaty moorlands ! (after having already done 3 or 4 days already !!)

Get your fitness as high as you can - work on your stamina and most of all ENJOY your time in the SSDT! :thumbup:

Good Luck !

any other point's will be greatly appretiated.

My best tip to you is GET FIT - VERY FIT start training NOW the fitter you are the easier it will be for you.

Must be the best ever tip for anyone wishing to finish a six days, and I've never even done a six days nor ever likely to either, but I know what it's like riding over wet moors for one day.

Thanks you so much - lots of very useful information. I sent an inquiry to west end hotel but if they won't have any available room, what is the other recommendations?

I forgot to mention but I will rent the full deal with Lampkin/Beta, so that part is covered.

Gear - any specific recommended models? recommended shops?

Work on the bike and physical preparation should be not problem - I just finished the ISDE in Mexico, and there they give only 13 minutes net to work on the bike. Should I change tire myself on the SSDT or I'm allowed to use mechanic for that? I have zero experience changing tubeless tires...

Thanks again for all your help!