TY 250 Swingarms and Side Stand

badmotofo

Hi,

I purchased a 1976 TY250C (U.S.) a while back and one of the issues was the side stand was missing and the mounting bracket on the swingarm was broken-off. I purchased a '74 swing arm, side stand and return spring on EBAY but that swing arm shows no mounting bracket at all. In the pictures below, the '76 is on the left and the '74 is on the right. The third photo is of the '76 where the bracket broke (I filed and painted it). The parts diagram at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx shows the same diagram for both years despite the differences and the diagram is not clear. So, I'm looking to see if someone can point me to a couple of photos (preferably close-ups) or diagrams for the mounting bracket. It looks like at this point I'll have to have something fabricated unless I'm missing something.

And on a side note, the '74 came with a chain lube mechanism but it is completely wasted. I was looking forward to seeing how well it worked, or not. So, does any one use the chain-luber and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike B

ty-swingarms-top.jpg

ty-swingarms-bottom.jpg

76-ty250-broken-side-stand-bracket.jpg

I'm going from a none too clever memory here, but if the '74 swingarm is from a TY250A then I think they were frame mounted, not on the swingarm which would be why the mount is not there.

Can't help you with the chain lube mechanism as I've never used one, I always blocked them off and manually lubed the chain.

Yes, you are quite right the TY250A 1974 side stand is frame mounted below the Left footrest bracket. All later models and the TY175 are mounted on the swinging arm on the right side and therefore stay aligned with the SA as it moves. On the TY250A it stays rigid with the main frame and if bent can hit and gouge the rear spocket as the rear end moves up and down. The sidestands are also different with the TY250A being shorter and the ground plate being on the opposite side. The spring is common to ALL models. Your choice is to either weld a plate of the correcct dimensions and add a spring retainer or buy another SA. Both will fit the A model and is a better choice especially if you are fitting the rear and down pegs. See "Tony's Blog" for all the how to's and pictures. With regard to the chain oilers they were good in their day (as we knew no better!) but they tossed oil all over the back end of the bike. You are better off today using modern day chain lubricants from the rattle can.

Tony