Column No 201 - Pre 65 Scottish Ride Spiked

Andy

Am I the only one who gets a strange feeling of deja vu round about this time every year? :D

No youre not LOL but why is it that this event and this event only seems to "bring it on" ? It's not just Me and Woody a lot of other people have feelings that surface due to certain rules or proceedures that exist with regards to this event and no other in the Pre65 calander.

No smoke without fire eh?

Again as said by many before we all appreciate the vast amount of hard work that goes into organising this trial but, to get back to Mikes column it's those very things he wrote about that provoke that deja vu feeling and will continue to do so as long as nothing changes.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Hi Guy's,

Andy, You know you are right!!

This old trial does it every year, starts the pulse's racing, in a lot of the Classic British Bike supporters, of TC around the world.

Now this year what I think a lot have missed, is the fact that there seems to be a lot more continental riders entered.

Now whether this is due to the sponsors being from Spain? or just coincidence?

But I bet what you will find after the event,that there will be a lot more controversy about the machines that some of these guy's ride, than any of the ones from this side of the channel?

The other point that springs to mind is, The guy's that have entered this event had to send in two photos of the bike they were going to ride, from both sides!! So does this mean that a competitor, can not change anything on this machine from when the photos were taken? Or can they modify to there heart's content. Take the bike up to the event, and get a knock back, as the machine does not look anything like the one in the photographs sent in?

You see what ever you look at, there will be controversy. And has the saying goes, "At the end of the day", It is the EandDs trial? event. and they make the decisions.

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guy's,

Andy, You know you are right!!

This old trial does it every year, starts the pulse's racing, in a lot of the Classic British Bike supporters, of TC around the world.

Now this year what I think a lot have missed, is the fact that there seems to be a lot more continental riders entered.

Now whether this is due to the sponsors being from Spain? or just coincidence?

But I bet what you will find after the event,that there will be a lot more controversy about the machines that some of these guy's ride, than any of the ones from this side of the channel?

The other point that springs to mind is, The guy's that have entered this event had to send in two photos of the bike they were going to ride, from both sides!! So does this mean that a competitor, can not change anything on this machine from when the photos were taken? Or can they modify to there heart's content. Take the bike up to the event, and get a knock back, as the machine does not look anything like the one in the photographs sent in?

You see what ever you look at, there will be controversy. And has the saying goes, "At the end of the day", It is the EandDs trial? event. and they make the decisions.

Regards Charlie.

Lay you odds Charlie that they wont even check. More chance of "Compare the Meerkats" than "Compare the Machines".

Remember when i last rode they never even checked my brakes just waved me onto the ramp.

All smoke and mirrors mate.

I have absolutley no interest in every doing the pre 65, but cannot agree with the above comment, why should a certain number of well known or top flight riders get a automatic ride each year ??? i didnt even need to look at the entry to guess that certain riders have a ride, they would get a ride even if its the only trial they rode in all year , and its supposed to be a ballot !!!!

now how is that fair on all the other riders who turn out week in week out in all conditions to support there clubs and sport, why should the likes of the Guants, Thorpe, Andrews, ETC be given guarnteed rides , and of all the well known top flighters, how many of there bikes are really 100% within the rules and the ethos of the trial, probably none, ie modern internals hidden away inside pre65 looking forks etc, but who's going to tell these top riders that they cannot enter as the bikes are not to the rules !!!

You've missed a couple of things

The bikes are allowed to have modern internals in older casings, forks, engine, whatever, that is within the rules and that applies to anyone, not just the top riders. As my post said, it's the inconsistency in the interpretation and application of the rules that is the issue.

It has never been a ballot for all 180 places, that's been known for years whether it was formally acknowleged or not (it is these days) There have always been places reserved for a number of riders.

I'd assume (as I can't speak for them) that the organisers see the trial as the pinnacle of Pre65 events. As such they would want to have the best known riders present, maybe in terms of character as well as ability, including former winners of both this trial and the 6 day. I'd assume that spectators do too, as Mike said in his post. Personally I don't think this is wrong, if I was competing I'd like to be competing against the best riders.

I agree with you that there is a certain amount of unfairness in that some riders who aren't at the sharp end seem to get in regularly, as do others who don't ride Pre65 at all (also mentioned in my post) whereas some regular Pre65 riders have never been successful in getting an entry. They must understandably feel some injustice having travelled up and down the country supporting various events and series over the years. However, the committee is in Edinburgh and can't really be expected to know which riders south of the border are regular Pre65 runners, it's just not feasible. Most are just names on an entry form, personal background of involvement in the sport unknown.

There is never going to be an easy or perfect solution to how the places are allocated to ensure everyone gets a chance. For riders NOT on the invited list, a fairer possibility maybe, would be to restrict consecutive rides to riders finishing inside the first class awards. Riders who finished outside of the awards the previous year are kept to one side and the ballot drawn from riders who weren't in the previous year. If there are still places left, the non-award winners from the previous year go in and get drawn to fill the remaining places. Not perfect I know and it's off the top of my head so there may be other pitfalls, but at least it would provide some rotation of names.

I realise this is basically saying favour the better riders, but if it is to be seen as the pinnacle of Pre65 trials , IT IS AN INTERNATIONAL CLASS COMPETITION, so it's not unreasonable to have a 'qualification' process for an automatic entry to guarantee the best riders a place. Is it right that someone who knows they haven't a hope of finishing the two days can possibly take the place of someone who could actually win it?

• Dislike 1

Am I the only one who gets a strange feeling of deja vu round about this time every year? :D

But for those regularly riding Pre65, it's an all year round topic of conversation, even for those with no interest in the event itself.

It's quite comical, when someone turns up at an event with a new bike, some old sage will cast a knowing eye towards it and remark with a wry grin 'you won't get into Scotland on that'.

Woody it's NOT an "INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION" i know of riders from America who have been refused an entry because they were not European. Looking through the entry list there are notional entries from "European" countries which however may not be members of the EU. Whatever the event is most definately NOT an international one.

Didn't realise that, assumed it was the same as the 6 day and anyone could ride. I'll call it a National then, my meaning being that it is a competition of a prestigious standing with a certain level of difficulty, rather than a demonstration of riders and machines of years gone by.

Hi Guy's

I thought the stipulation was that you should be, or have connections with, someone living in the EU?

I had an Australia guy, that was born in England and rode here, with a mother still living in Birmingham.

So I started to build a bike up for him to ride, that met all the criteria of the event. But he was told that he would not be able to ride! has Australia was not in the EU!!End of story!

But I know of one guy from the USA that got a ride.connections?

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guy's

I thought the stipulation was that you should be, or have connections with, someone living in the EU?

I had an Australia guy, that was born in England and rode here, with a mother still living in Birmingham.

So I started to build a bike up for him to ride, that met all the criteria of the event. But he was told that he would not be able to ride! has Australia was not in the EU!!End of story!

But I know of one guy from the USA that got a ride.connections?

Regards Charlie.

Connections ?? Probably but when i go through the entry list i cant see any country other than ones situated in the European "continent".

Here's a thought.

When entries to both the Pre65 and the SSDT are so sought after and difficult to get, is it fair that 10 riders have managed to secure rides in both events?

Don't recall this question being raised before.

Whilst both events are run by EDMC, they're run as entirely separate events. Separate organising committees, separate rules and regulations, separate everything. There's no reason why a rider shouldn't ride the Pre-65 and the SSDT any more than there's a reason why they shouldn't ride the Scott and the Reeth 3-Day. :)

• Like 2

i knew a couple of peopel rode in both but never appreciated it was as many as ten Stick, they must be cream crackered come the following saturday 8 days riding in 9 days. It would be illegal to drive professionally for that many days!

it cannot be far off that someone spends 5 -10k building a bike ready for its nov/ dec photo to to be knocked back and asks there legal representative to ask for clarification of the ballot process. E and D are becoming much more open via the website and regs etc about the application process for which they are to be applauded. the very clear guidelines for rigid bikes are also to be applauded as they are clear and consice and may allow genuine bikes to be seen and ridden. has the horse bolted for the springers though?