Sprite Trials Bikes

old trials fanatic

Sorry, forget to mention,...............that is before 1965 !

I was not disputing that just no body has mentioned model or backed with a photograph. If you had seen it there should be some results in the archives some where distant memories would not go far with the Scotish Mafia. Was the 64 model the same as the 65?

• Like 1

In 1964 people did not have cameras in phones, or even phones!, (they were 20 odd years away) Cameras were expensive. All my money was spent entry fee's, tyres, petrol etc, if my mom had insisted that I paid her I could not have ridden in trials . and I believe that that was the norm for many young lads that had started in trials. If you can track down copy's of MCN from 1964 you will photo's of Jonah riding his 1964 Sprite, ( He was brilliant ). Listen to Charlie Prescott and other people they were there. Frank Hipkin was a visionary and a down to earth black country lad. He developed a sprite trials bike that was financially within the reach of loads of people. Believe what people say, word of mouth was the norm in the early sixty's, and that was how history has worked for hundreds of years.

Hi Guy's

Look "Jack", sorry, Bill.

The bikes name is "SPRITE" not Sprit.

The man who built these bikes, Frank Hipkin, was asked this Question, Did you build Sprite Trials kits before 1965.

Frank replied with the answer above. so what more do you want "blood". And to be quite honest does it matter?? all this for one trial that you may never get a ride in!!

What I find interesting is the history of Sprite trials bikes, having grown up with them and seeing them on the Midlands trial scene on a weekly basis,and knowing both of the works riders at the time was a bonus.I was interested how they started with what was a Cotton, and as the weeks went by this bike was developed into a "Sprite". Frank supplied, what was the cheapest way to own a New trials bike,even Cotton followed this route in 1966,(I built 2 up). So without the insight that Frank had, to supply something that someone wanted,we would not have had the amount of trials riders we had at the time, who had a cheaper route to the sport than buying from the continent.

Regards Charlie. :thumbup:

It's not just about the scottish trial Charlie but also about people putting false information on entry forms. Not that that would affect my club, we have a class for British Bikes not just Pre65, but remember some clubs do use the age of the machine in a tie decider, mostly AMCA ones i must admit, and i have seen 2011 bikes entered as 1960 before now which is why we never use the aleged age of the bike in a tie decider.

I'm willing to believe a motor cycle was ridden wherever with the name Sprite on the tank, i can ride my OSSA tomorrow with a James sticker on the tank if i want but that doesnt make it a James, but what i think Bill and myself are getting at is were those machines the same specifically trials and i stress trials not converted scrambles machines that were on offer to the general public prior to 31/12/1964. Question when is a Cotton no longer a Cotton ? "a rose by any other name" ?

It's all academic really from an eligability point of view as they are now eligable for the scottish so everybody else will follow suit but it has made for an interesting thread all a bit like Roswell and Area 51 LOL. :popcorn:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Hi Guy's,

I have just Trolled through all of my old Motor Cycle mags, and have found a page 14 Oct 1965 titled [sprites with Starmakers] Quote >At the request of riders, a slim,single-point-fixing fuel tank holding no more than 1,3/4 gallons is employed in place of the larger tank of last years models<

I will copy this page and put it on later.

What a pretty litle bike the Monza trials bike looks, in the picture!! ( leading link forks):thumbup: I have also just found a picture of Collin Dommett in an ORR, riding the works development Starmaker CoTTon, with a frame that is very-very simular to the Sprite,even down to the leading link forks. :thumbup:

Edit!! To add information!!

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott

Hi Guy's,

I have just Trolled through all of my old Motor Cycle mags, and have found a page 14 Oct 1965 titled [sprites with Starmakers] Quote >At the request of riders, a slim,single-point-fixing fuel tank holding no more than 1,3/4 gallons is employed in place of the larger tank of last years models<

I will copy this page and put it on later.

What a pretty litle bike the Monza trials bike looks, in the picture!! ( leading link forks):thumbup: I have also just found a picture of Collin Dommett in an ORR, riding the works development Starmaker CoTTon, with a frame that is very-very simular to the Sprite,even down to the leading link forks. :thumbup:

Edit!! To add information!!

Regards Charlie.

Look forward to seeing it Charlie. We still keep skating around the subject. Finding this inuendo or this quotation that sort of suggests ....... Still havent seen evidence of a member of Joe Public riding a Sprite TRIALS bike that is as anybody could buy freely available over the counter prior to 31/12/1964. As in NOT a rebadged Cotton ! then again many a James became a Francis Barnett as there were too many James already entered for the scottish pre65 same with Cottons and Dots. I've bought a Merceedes van thats registered 2010 but is a 2009 model cos it was 8K less. Now do i say it's a 2009 i.e. pre 2010 or do i say it's a 2010 ? LOL all good fun? If only they just adopted "British Twinshocks" we would'nt have half as much fun eh? :popcorn:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

What is the difference between a 1964 Sprite and a 1965 and what year did sprite produce the twin down tube model.

hi jack the lad dad (frank hipkin) sed theres no difference on the 64/65 models. All early viller engined sprites from 64 on had the twin down tube. the official sachs and zundapp engined sprites the down tubes were wider then the later 250/405 sprites own engines were a singel down tube i hope this as helped you all the best steve :blush:

whats the definition of British? isnt that a little vague? british made british parts british sourced british assembled british sold what is the precise defintion of british as a location and at what point in history? GB? Uk? british colony british ruled british speaking diputed british soveriegn territory dominions, colonies, protectorates, mandates, and other territories ruled ? too many variables i'm afriad..

Edited by totalshell

whats the definition of British? isnt that a little vague? british made british parts british sourced british assembled british sold what is the precise defintion of british as a location and at what point in history? GB? Uk? british colony british ruled british speaking diputed british soveriegn territory dominions, colonies, protectorates, mandates, and other territories ruled ? too many variables i'm afriad..

GOOD response and opens a whole new can of worms. Never thought of that one :chairfall::thumbup: