Sprite Trials Bikes

old trials fanatic

1964 Production frames produced but to whom were they sold? No mention again of the word sold. Also when produced and when + how many sold in 1964? Does a frame only constitute a Motor Cycle ?

1965 Jonah rode in the scottish for the FIRST time on a Sprite. Ahhh note 1965 NOT 1964.

Hmmmm interesting.

If commerfords had 1964 models for sale 1965 then they must have sold some???

Can

• Like 1

Hi Guy's

Look OTF,

If you had known "Jonah" at this time you would have known why he did not ride in the previous years Scottish. (he could not afford to go)

The guy only wanted to be a top flight trials rider, and all he had to ride was a beat out old CoTTon with a clapped out engine,. "Jonah" could only ride a trials bike in one way (spectacularly) with the throttle full open, not good for any engine,

He could not hold down a job, as all he wanted to do was practice his trials riding. If he had new tyres,he would wear them out practicing all week for the following weekends trial, and then ride with these worn out tyres, and give the performance of the day. If you think you could ride on a shoestring budget and compete in national trials to this level, Jonah went one step further. The guy turned up at the Scottish wearing his Barbour suit, and when asked for his luggage he said he had none!! Only a pair of trainers in his pockets, He did the European championship and stayed over for the week with only

Hi Guy's

Look OTF,

If you had known "Jonah" at this time you would have known why he did not ride in the previous years Scottish. (he could not afford to go)

The guy only wanted to be a top flight trials rider, and all he had to ride was a beat out old CoTTon with a clapped out engine,. "Jonah" could only ride a trials bike in one way (spectacularly) with the throttle full open, not good for any engine,

He could not hold down a job, as all he wanted to do was practice his trials riding. If he had new tyres,he would wear them out practicing all week for the following weekends trial, and then ride with these worn out tyres, and give the performance of the day. If you think you could ride on a shoestring budget and compete in national trials to this level, Jonah went one step further. The guy turned up at the Scottish wearing his Barbour suit, and when asked for his luggage he said he had none!! Only a pair of trainers in his pockets, He did the European championship and stayed over for the week with only

Edited by Old trials fanatic

I dont know so much, my only qualification is I accidentally bought one off ebay and have not got round to starting work on the rebuild yet.

This being Trials Central maybe you are not so aware of the otherside of Franks business, selling scramblers.

There is a fantastic thread based on Australian MX version of Sprites where they were known as the Alron.

Here is a link to maybe the longest forum thread of all time, more than 40 pages and filled with intrigue and even a sugestion theres a book to be written.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=8321.0

There are some apparent real comments from Frank's son which lend credibility.

I dont know so much, my only qualification is I accidentally bought one off ebay and have not got round to starting work on the rebuild yet.

This being Trials Central maybe you are not so aware of the otherside of Franks business, selling scramblers.

There is a fantastic thread based on Australian MX version of Sprites where they were known as the Alron.

Here is a link to maybe the longest forum thread of all time, more than 40 pages and filled with intrigue and even a sugestion theres a book to be written.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=8321.0

There are some apparent real comments from Frank's son which lend credibility.

Nice one. I've also seen a lot of scramblers "converted" and sold on e bay as trials bikes. :popcorn:

Hi Guy's

Hi OTF,

The Hipkins have been in touch with me, and what they have said confirms the fact!!

I then find a Picture of Arthur Dovey, on a Sprite fitted with Norton forks and a James front,wheel. Then find out that he bought the frame from Frank, the Villiers Scrambles engine from the Rickmans, (this was fitted with trials gears), along with a G/F clamp on front mudguard.

Then I Quote> Arthur was very successful locally and won several premier awards on that bike.

By 1965 Arthur was a top rider in the Southern center, and he started that year still on the Sprite.< end of Quote.

There was also a hint that Arthur was a supported rider on this bike but there is no confirmation of this fact.

Going back to Jonah, Frank said that he had full run of the sweet factory and that he would somtimes be there for 24 hours at a time, and use as many parts that he wanted, engine bits tyres etc, He then would go off for a days practice at Tipton, armed with a small axe, as a hammer, an old flat headed screwdriver, a pair of Molegrips, and a piston.Frank also said that Dennis had rolled up at the shop and asked him to build a bike around him, he was riding a Greeves at the time. So Frank had the Cotton and they started with that.

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut:

Charlie thanks for all the research that you have done on the Sprite trials bikes. I know Jonah was riding a Sprite in 1964, I was there, I knew him. It is such a pity that people do not seem to believe what people say. Dennis Jones was a character a nice character, people that met him would find it difficult to forget him, he had a outstanding "personality", and his ability to ride a trials bike unbelievable. I can remember at the 1965 SSDT that Dennis thought that the stewards at there meeting one evening were wrong, so Dennis walked into their meeting to protest, he was told that only written protests would be accepted, in his inevitable way he told them that this was a "verbal" protest. Jonah had arrived !!

Hi Guy's

Hi OTF,

The Hipkins have been in touch with me, and what they have said confirms the fact!!

I then find a Picture of Arthur Dovey, on a Sprite fitted with Norton forks and a James front,wheel. Then find out that he bought the frame from Frank, the Villiers Scrambles engine from the Rickmans, (this was fitted with trials gears), along with a G/F clamp on front mudguard.

Then I Quote> Arthur was very successful locally and won several premier awards on that bike.

By 1965 Arthur was a top rider in the Southern center, and he started that year still on the Sprite.< end of Quote.

There was also a hint that Arthur was a supported rider on this bike but there is no confirmation of this fact.

Going back to Jonah, Frank said that he had full run of the sweet factory and that he would somtimes be there for 24 hours at a time, and use as many parts that he wanted, engine bits tyres etc, He then would go off for a days practice at Tipton, armed with a small axe, as a hammer, an old flat headed screwdriver, a pair of Molegrips, and a piston.Frank also said that Dennis had rolled up at the shop and asked him to build a bike around him, he was riding a Greeves at the time. So Frank had the Cotton and they started with that.

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut:

Hi charlie yes sprite did support Arthur Dovey and many more . :D

As i have previously posted, i have the receipt and log book of the Sprite purchased by my dad in november 1964. Frame no 23. I am not able to post a copy of the receipt, but am willing to send a copy to someone who can if they contact me