Sprite Trials Bikes

old trials fanatic

Hi Guy's

Yes thanks Andie, mailed you.

Just if you are interested? Frank as stated on the OZ site that the tube used in the manufacture of Sprite frames was ERW!! I will explain!

This tube starts as mild steel strip of the right thickness, which is then formed into tube shape by running over several different rollers and mandrills. Then when the steel is in a tube shape it is forced through an electric resistance welder this completes the tube. A plane like blade removes the rough edge of the weld on the outside while it is still hot.

This tube is structurally very sound as the cold rolling of the sheet initially compresses the steel molecules into a much more stable material.

Now a days this tube can be further enhanced by drawing a mandrill through the finished tube (DOM) this removes the inside weld by flattening it and the further compression makes the tube more stable still, and of a truer shape.

This tube is now favourite with the many Chopper frame builders in the USA.

Now when I first started to manufacture horse boxes in a new method of manufacture than any thing before in 1968 I used square section ERW tube. This was at the time very hard to source and I only decided to use it because of my motorcycle background ( used for trials sidecars). Now there are still some of the first boxes I built using this tube in use today. Which goes to prove how good Bright ERW tube is. So Sprite made the best choice of material at the time. And there was no need to use the much more expensive Reynolds tube.

Regards Charlie.

Hi

Having owned and ridden a Villiers Sprite eons ago I have followed this thread with interest throughout.

Whilst not wishing to get drawn into any controversy, maybe I could add a couple of points of interest.

Having read the comment on the ERW tubing I would add that my frame was of all brazed construction, the brazing quality being top notch - of comparable quality to the Rickmans I would say. An extraordinary detail for a product built down to a price.

I have an old green log book for a Sprite registered new on 19th May 1966 with the frame number 271.

If frame number 23 was supplied 6th November 1964, this would suggest that 248 frames were produced in the 18 month period between Nov '64 and May '66. An average of about 14 a month.

Charlie - I may have missed something - but is a frame kit just a frame to which you would add your own engine, wheels, forks etc. Or a complete kit to build a complete bike - Is there any way of knowing?

What is Frank H doing these days? Have I heard his name in connection with the manufacture of domestic CH boilers?

Regards

Sparks

Hi Guy's

Hi Sparks.

A frame kit was a bike in bits that you had to assemble for tax purposes. I also think Frank would sell you just a frame as well. Yes I had a good mate that had a Sprite Triumph scrambler, (the most fun I have had riding a bike)and the bronze welding was very good. I have a picture of a guy welding a frame in the factory, that looks very much like a young Arthur Browning???

If you read the photo-ed page you would see that Frank is still a businessman and now 73+ years old and I think still enjoying riding his enduro bike. Good on yer. :thumbup:

Regards Charlie

Having read the comment on the ERW tubing I would add that my frame was of all brazed construction, the brazing quality being top notch - of comparable quality to the Rickmans I would say. An extraordinary detail for a product built down to a price.

I also have a Sprite trials frame for a Villiers engine which is all very nicely brazed, not too heavy & now definitely Pre 65 so I think I will be building another bike to ride.

Does anyone have any Sprite pictures to put here on TC. It is a great shame that Sprite have for so long been completely overlooked as a serious trials bike.

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/Transport/Motorcycles/Sprite.htm

Thank you Charlie, that nice machine looks to me like a later model Sprite (no tubes between rear of tanl & s/arm) Do you know if the earlier machines which I presume mine to be had double / triple digit frame numbers. I have not yet found the number on mine, where might it be stamped?

Might get this right eventually, regarding the earlier mention of Arthur BROWNING, yes he is still very active in the bike world, He reguarly competes at pre 65 trials, with the AMCA BMCA club amongst others, i have also had the pleasure to watch him at the Red Marley Hill climb which is held over easter in Worcstershire. Both time s i have seen him ride he was on an old JAWA , 500 i think.

Might get this right eventually, regarding the earlier mention of Arthur BROWNING, yes he is still very active in the bike world, He reguarly competes at pre 65 trials, with the AMCA BMCA club amongst others, i have also had the pleasure to watch him at the Red Marley Hill climb which is held over easter in Worcstershire. Both time s i have seen him ride he was on an old JAWA , 500 i think.

He's entered the pre-65 Scottish on the Jawa 500 again this year.

Edited by B40RT