Sprite Trials Bikes

old trials fanatic

• 1 month later...

• 6 months later...

hi im steve hipkin (frank hipkins son) MR SPRITE i have some sad news unfortunately dad passed away on monday 3rd September following a major stroke on thursday 30th august he leaves behind a wife 2 sons 3 daughters 13 grandchildren 5 great grandchildren and countless friends,

hi im steve hipkin (frank hipkins son) MR SPRITE i have some sad news unfortunately dad passed away on monday 3rd September following a major stroke on thursday 30th august he leaves behind a wife 2 sons 3 daughters 13 grandchildren 5 great grandchildren and countless friends,

i`ve had to come on under this name because i was unable to sign in with ste3hip.

Hi Steve,

I am very sorry to hear of your sad loss and my thoughts are with you and your family.

“British Trials Bikes” would have never have grown like it did in the late sixties without your fathers input, supplying a trials bike that anyone could afford.

I am glad we did the catch up on Sprite Trials bikes when we did, has I know your dad enjoyed it.

Condolences to you all in the family.

And I for one will make sure “Mr Sprite’s” name lives on while I am still able too!

Charlie Prescott.

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

I am very sorry to hear of your sad loss and my thoughts are with you and your family.

“British Trials Bikes” would have never have grown like it did in the late sixties without your fathers input, supplying a trials bike that anyone could afford.

I am glad we did the catch up on Sprite Trials bikes when we did, has I know your dad enjoyed it.

Condolences to you all in the family.

And I for one will make sure “Mr Sprite’s” name lives on while I am still able too!

Charlie Prescott.

Thanks charlie the funeral takes place at stourbridge crem on thurs 13th at 2.10 then on to hadcroft inn at new farm rd lye casual clothes plz (dad hated suits ;) )donations are to be divided between stroke association and the A M C A benevolent fund many Thanks the HIPKINS xx

• 2 months later...

Hi,

There was a query to Big John which I didn't see a reply to about the first Bultaco to be ridden in the Scottish, so here are some facts.

To the best of my remembrance (if there is such a thing!) the first Bultaco seen in the Scottish was in 1962 when Tommy Ollerton brought his bike to Scotland - he was riding it regularly in Lancashire at the time and helping Anelay's develop the Sherpa (No, not Samuel Hamilton - the bike was virtually 'fait accompli' before he ever talked to Senor Bulto - but that's another story.)

I did chat with Jack Anelay at the time, but he was really more interested in developing the racers than the trials model, even though, ion my view, their work on the trialler was far more effective in the overall picture.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Guy's

I said I would keep the Name Sprite alive, so I am doing a Page on my web site about the Trials Bikes and the guys that where supported by Sprite on these Machines.

This fits in with the story about the late Chris Leighfield too.

So if any of you have any information I could use I would be grateful. Thanks. I am sure Deryk would be too.

Regards Charlie

I said I would keep the Name Sprite alive, so I am doing a Page on my web site about the Trials Bikes and the guys that where supported by Sprite on these Machines.

Hi Charlie,

I don't have any information to add but would like to see your site, if it is available now. Could you post a link, if that's allowed, or is it publicised elsewhere?

Thanks for making this information available.

Mark

Hi Charlie,

I don't have any information to add but would like to see your site, if it is available now. Could you post a link, if that's allowed, or is it publicised elsewhere?

Thanks for making this information available.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm also doing a fully illustrated feature on the Sprite machines in ORRe, the digital magazine available exclusively on this site, plus the full development history of the AJS/Matchless competition models, which I'm sure you might also find interesting - with a few details I gleaned when I was editor of the Jampot - as well as owning a couple of ex-works bikes myself.

Contact me at offroarchive@Gmail.com if you have any queries.

In the meantime - here are a couple of images from my archive that may be of interest,

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

post-19290-0-31402900-1417165904_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-12134000-1417166067_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 3

Great pictures, when men were men, headgear, boots, bare hands, and not a thought of the clutch.

Thanks

Larry

Larry, the top picture is Dennis Jones - who never wore any gloves, whatever the weather. When he went for a week to the SSDT his change of clothing was in one pocket........

• Like 1