Sprite Trials Bikes

old trials fanatic

Hi Guy's.

I for one thought Sprite 1966, this is when the company pushed there kits, and you just think there were none before that time? I can remember "Jonah" riding a bike that had a Sprite sticker on it but it looked nothing like one of the production kits, but more like an old Cotton with mods.

I will mail Chris Leighfield,for his comment, has he was one of the Sprite boys along with Denis Jones, and I know Chris is in contact with "Jonah", so he may be able to get his opinion.

What I can say is that the bike he rode in the Scottish of 1965 was a joint venture, Frank Hipkin supplied the frame,Roy Bevis the forks,and front wheel, and the Cotton that Jonah had been riding up until that time provided the rest of the bike including the iron barreled engine, and has every one knows Jonah's engines were always clapped out.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Dennis Jones (Jonna) was riding a Sprite in 1964. He was working in the BSA/Ariel development department, and was, if my memory serves me correctly

Frank Hipkins development rider.

Hi Guy's.

I have just had a PM from Jonah, to confirm that the statment I made last about "Sprites" Was corect.

I must say it is brilliant news that I can now contact,Jonah, (and I will), And I might add that I am so pleased that Chris Leighfield, was able to get in touch with Jonah before his sad passing, as they were best mates and travling companions in the sixties. any more information I get i will pass on.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Hi Guy's.

I have just had a PM from Jonah, to confirm that the statment I made last about "Sprites" Was corect.

I must say it is brilliant news that I can now contact,Jonah, (and I will), And I might add that I am so pleased that Chris Leighfield, was able to get in touch with Jonah before his sad passing, as they were best mates and travling companions in the sixties. any more information I get i will pass on.

Regards Charlie.

:banana2::banana2::banana2: does that mean i was right all along ?????? -13 (edit now -14 and rising) cos everybody hates me and could i have been right all along?????????? Oh i do hope so.

I can just hear all the appologies flooding in already. Yeah right as if thats ever gonna happen !

Edited by Old trials fanatic
  • Dislike 3

Hi Guy's,

Hi OTF,

You never know you could be right,(i will have to get the information to confirm this though)!!!! :icon_salut:

-17 it must be cold in Derbyshire? only -6 here. :chairfall:

Regards Charlie.

-58 now and falling LOL some people need to get out more LOL :moon:

Yes please get the info if you can cos i would love to see it posted on here if i am right about something. That should get me to -100 and break the bank LOL. Wonder what happens when you hit 100? do you spontaniously combust ? LOL

God there's some fragile souls on here eh? :D

• Dislike 3

:banana2::banana2::banana2: does that mean i was right all along ?????? -13 (edit now -14 and rising) cos everybody hates me and could i have been right all along?????????? Oh i do hope so.

I can just hear all the appologies flooding in already. Yeah right as if thats ever gonna happen !

But what are you right about ?.

• Like 3

But what are you right about ?.

Copy of a previous posting further up the page of Charlie Prescotts

"Hi Guy's.

I for one thought Sprite 1966, this is when the company pushed there kits, and you just think there were none before that time? I can remember "Jonah" riding a bike that had a Sprite sticker on it but it looked nothing like one of the production kits, but more like an old Cotton with mods.

I will mail Chris Leighfield,for his comment, has he was one of the Sprite boys along with Denis Jones, and I know Chris is in contact with "Jonah", so he may be able to get his opinion.

What I can say is that the bike he rode in the Scottish of 1965 was a joint venture, Frank Hipkin supplied the frame,Roy Bevis the forks,and front wheel, and the Cotton that Jonah had been riding up until that time provided the rest of the bike including the iron barreled engine, and has every one knows Jonah's engines were always clapped out.

Regards Charlie."

"Hi Guy's.

Regards Charlie."

"Hi Guy's,

Hi OTF,

You never know you could be right,(i will have to get the information to confirm this though)!!!!

-17 it must be cold in Derbyshire? only -6 here.

Regards Charlie."

Does that answer your question Pat ?

The text of my original post also gives a clue.

No doubt this posting will attract even more negative ratings from all those who seem to disagree with anybody daring to ever question anything. To all those :moon:

:rotfl:

• Dislike 2

Does that make my sprite pre 65 ?????? always put it down as 1966 ...

Will have to wait till Charlie Prescott comes back with Jonah's reply.

I like you would have put the Sprite down as 1966 but others seem to argue otherwise to get them eligable for the scottish 2 day.

I dont have an axe to grind, although i have been accused of having bought multiples from my local hardware store, either way. I would just like to have a categorical answer as i like many others always thought that Sprites were post 31/12/1964.

I seems that some would hope that after 46 years have passed then a convienient case of memory loss might have occured which perhaps it might? I will await Charlie's post to clarify.

Somehow cant see there being a flood of appologies if my memory is proved right but we will wait and see.

Nice bike BTW :thumbup:

• Dislike 2

Although the memories of some may fade over the years, it seems some do quicker than others. Post no.9 in this thread seems fairly clear. I'd rely on contemporary reporting of the day and from that it seems clear that bikes built by hipkin badged as sprites were been sold all be it on a limited basis in 64 and on a mass produced basis in 65. i can therefore accept the eligibility for the pre 65 Sottish as have presumabley the organisers.Equally the acceptance of the bike in 'pre 65 trials' where most clubs run the two stroke class as pre 70.

the issue though is rather bogus as the number of competing Sprites is very limited (

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

Just to throw some petrol on the fire. As I see it they may have built Sprits in 64 but what forks did the have on them. The ones on the Sprit in the pictures would not be aloud on a Tiger Cub in Yorkshire as they are post 65 (I think). Is this debate is about eligibility in Scotland. The way forward is not to speculate on this site but to put it in writing to the organisers and await there response.

Jack

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2