SSDT Gearing.

falcon1

I Know its been discussed a lot before on here but Ive got a few quetions that are on my mind!

I rode last year and used standard gearing (11/42), I found 1st ok to use on most sections, maybe a bit high for some, but when you needed that little bit more second was to high. Also on the moors I seemed to be constatly be changing between 4th and 5th, though I found top gear fine on the tracks.

I have since started using 10/41, and stll use 1st most of the time and find that second is a lot more useable when needed. Also I imagine 5th to be a lot better on the moors. I'm worried that I might be to slow on the road and tracks if I stick with 10/41, How much slower in terms of mph is 10/41?

Also I notice that both beta and scorpa recommend gearing up, but can't find any info nothing on sherco. Do they just use standard gearing?

Cheers.

Its my 10th SSDT this year and I have ridden it on GasGas, Beta and Sherco. I geared up the Beta as standard first gear is far too low for sections. I always ran standard gearing on the GG and Sherco but I know a lot of people do downgear slightly or upgear. If you are thinking its too fast in the sections then downgear as there are 180 sections and it would be better to be comfortable in the sections rather than it getting you there 30 seconds earlier to the next group. Instead of going a tooth lower on the front why not try either a 43 or 44 sprocket on the back and see how that feels. It will just take the edge off it in the sections but it will still go plenty quick enough. You will probably find that if you downgear slightly you may be able to use a slightly higher gear over the moors and you wont be changing gear all the time so you can go a bit quicker. No doubt somebody who has never ridden the trial before will tell me i'm wrong but never mind! I hope it helps you.

I have since started using 10/41, and stll use 1st most of the time and find that second is a lot more useable when needed. Also I imagine 5th to be a lot better on the moors. I'm worried that I might be to slow on the road and tracks if I stick with 10/41, How much slower in terms of mph is 10/41?

An 11/42 provides a gear reduction of .261904762. While a 10/41 provides a gear reduction of .243902439. So, the 10/41 is 93.1263858% of 11/42. I don't know the top speed of the GG with the 11/42. But, if its 50mph with 11/42 and assuming its limited by rpm and not hp, the top speed with the 10/41 would be 46.56mph. Given the same 50mph assumption, it'll take 5.3 seconds longer to go 1 mile with the lower gearing.

If my math was wrong, I'm sure we'll find out soon. :)

So that means that the 30 mile ride up the road to Chair Lift takes you a little over 2 1/2 minutes longer. Having ridden round with a GPS in my pocket a fair bit I'd say 50mph is way above a road speed average so thet extra time is less than 2 1/2 minutes. You ride the SSDT to do your best in 180 sections, the rest just happens, why gear a bike to be anything other than what you really need in sections?

I rode an 11/42 Gas Gas 250 in 2005, I had my best ride in the SSDT on it but it wouldn't pull 5th on the moors, Kinnel told me that he always knew when I was about to pass him on a moor because he'd hear a Gasser getting flogged hard in 4th. I've had another 250 Gasser since & used 10/42 gearing, I didn't do a SSDT on it but I did enough moor work round home to know that 5th was more usable, I also found the bike to be spot on in sections.

Having finished 6 SSDTs over the last 20 years or so on Yams, Gasgas and 315 and 4rt Monts have to agree the feel in sections has to be right. Having said that the sections do suit a quicker flowing style so a slightly higher gearing is not always a bad thing so long as its realistic. I always used to put an extra front tooth on the mono yam but then used that gearing all year!!

Don't think RPM is limiting factor when on the roads more power, how fast do you want to go, how hard do you want to rev it.

Other thing to consider is mpg. Higher gearing will give a slightly longer range. 315 mont with longer gearing but std tank only just got me to all the fuel stops in 06 (with few a 100 yard pushes!!! cos I had no spare fuel on me - honest).

What ever you chose don't set it up on May the First. Ride a couple of trials with SSDT set up just to makes sure - including No Plate, speedo, mudguard extensions etc. If you are going to use a haversack or bum bag wear it a few times also -may look a bit of a tosser at your local club trial but better to find out after 2 laps of a club trial than 20 miles out of Fort William on Monday with 80 miles still to go. :thumbup: