MP600 Forks

beamish owners club

I have a Tiger Cub with a pair of 32mm MP600 forks. I was told when I bought the bike that the forks were 'new'. I assuemed 'new old stock' but they could well have been new ones from Greeves who have owned the rights to Metal Profile for about 12 years now and are remanufacturing an updated version.

When going over uneven ground at speed or lifting the front wheel, I get a resounding 'clunk' as the forks reach the fill extent of their travel. In other forks I have stripped, there is a short spring at the top of the valve tube to stop this, I think in the MP600's I have there is just a rubber 'bump stop' from the feel of it. I drained the forks and there was 100cc of ATF whereas Greeves reccommend 200cc of SAE 5W fork oil for their updated forks.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

For anyone else having the same problem, it was the lack of oil that was the problem as they are double damp forks. They should have SAE 5W if they are the new manufactured ones by Greeves and work very well with the correct weight and volume of oil! They take 2 oil seals in each leg 32x45x7 the top seal has a double lip so make sure you put them in the right way around with the steel springs facing downwards.