Cota 348 Clutch Issues

bpilgrim

Hello,

I'm having issues with the clutch on my 348. Firstly, it slips if I kick it through a compression, so to start it I use the decompressor to get it to TDC and give it a kick from there, that works. I tried adjusting it to give me enough bite to enable it to be kicked straight through, this worked, and then to test if it was now dragging, I put the front wheel against a fence (it's a good job), and knocked it into gear, even with the clutch pulled in fully, the rear spun.

After a lot of adjusting whilst it was firmly stuck against the fence, I've adjusted it so the clutch drag is bearable, I can't move the bike backwards in gear, but it doesn't move forwards on it's own anymore. Another problem with this is that you can't get it into neutral when the engine is running.

When the engine is hot however, this improves, so I'm thinking that it's just the oil? I was recommended to use modern gear/clutch oil, by a bike garage, I went in asking for the oil that the manual says, and they had never heard of it... They were also surprised to hear the clutch was separated from the gears...

Do you think this is just the oil? I've heard it could also be warped plates? What type of oil do you recommend, I've heard ATF being mentioned, any particular type?

Another thing I thought it could be was the travel on the cable/levers. I've got some standard/universal levers, are amal levers known for having more travel?

Thanks in advance

Ben

ps. What's the point of the breather of the RH crankcase cover?

I think the 348 is similar to the 247 and if you remove the clutch side covers you will see that a small metal plunger (about thimble size) is there and this pushes against the spinning mechanism to activate the clutch. The plunger wears out and your bike behaves exactly as described.

The plunger on my 247 did this 9 months ago and on mine it was steel so I laid some metal on with an arc welder and then ground it smooth on an oil stone - it is still working fine.

However just to be careful I ordered one from John Haberbosch Rocky Mountain Montesa only a a few days ago cost $15 and this one is brass ( which I believe is correct) his email is john@rmmontesa.com - great service and reasonable post etc - from USA to Oz..

That little brass plunger is the right one to use. However it can fit into that little slot that actuates the clutch either way. Only one way to fit it as the bottom sides of that plunger have different cutouts. Can't remember which way it goes now but I can check if you want. I have always used 10w 30 oil on the clutch side with no problems. As far as building up that plunger with a dob of weld, It may work for now but I would think that it is eventually going to wear the three pronged thing that it rests against and then you will be up for some new parts.

Thanks for the comments, I have fitted the brass clutch plunger with the cut out into the hole in the casing, so the smooth end is pushing against the rotating 3 claw pusher.

I have just ordered some Morris Lubricants Golden Film SAE 20, which has been recommended for use in 348/349's. So I'll change the oil and if not, I'll order a new brass plunger from RM Montesa and see if that does the trick.

Thanks

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the advice, it was the plunger. My one's actually steel, but I checked my spare 348 engine and that had a brass plunger. The brass one was however quite a bit shorter so I used the steel one. There were signs of uneven wear on the 3 claw pusher, as if the plunger wasn't flush, but the plunger fell out when I took the cover off so I know it was in the wrong way, but I didn't know which way was the wrong way! So I played around with it and put the cover back on, and the travel on the clutch arm was much further. Topped it up with the Morris Lubricants oil and it's brilliant. I can now roll the bike backwards in gear, and can get it into neutral with the engine running.

I tried kicking it through the compression, it did slip, but that isn't too much of a problem, and it may get better after some running, and some more fresh oil.

Thanks for the help!

There were signs of uneven wear on the 3 claw pusher, as if the plunger wasn't flush, but the plunger fell out when I took the cover off so I know it was in the wrong way, but I didn't know which way was the wrong way!

You buy the replacement plungers in various lengths - my 3 claw pusher was also worn so I laid some metal on that with the arc welder and ground it flat - it too has been working happily for about 9 months .

Cheers

• 3 years later...

I too have some issues with my kick start and the clutch. I have all the same problems mentioned in the beginning of this post. So it is a relief to find some answers.

I do however have a couple of questions. Is this the part which will need to be replaced?

http://www.inmotiontrials.com/product/montesa-cota-clutch-push-pad-10mm/

And..

Should I be able to kickstart my bike, when in gear, if the clutch lever is pulled?

Edited by samwisemcg

Samwisemcg that is the correct part - it does come in several lengths so may be wise to get a couple.

No you cannot kick start in gear when you engage the clutch the engine does not turn with the kick start. Best not to forget as a false kick on mine by my son broke the kick start return spring :(

Keychange, thanks for the help. I think this weekend I'll be opening up the bike and taking a look.

I always wondered about kick starting the bike when in gear. Other twinshocks I've ridden have allowed me to pull the clutch and kick it over in gear. At least now I know it's normal and not another thing I have to fix. Cheers.