How/When did you get started?

ihaterocks

I've just been wondering how/what got you started in trials and when did you start?

Well mine is a bit unique to say the least. My first official date with my current fiance was at a trials event. He had me scoring a section with him and his father and told me that the pros were coming up the rock I was on but failed to tell me just how close well I was about a foot away from their boots lol. And I've been hooked ever since =)

Edited by iHateRocks

My mate said i was taking up "golf for motorcycle racers"

That's an old fashioned attitude. Most enduro riders these days are very respectful of trials riders (that almost all top enduro riders are highly competent trials riders is probably to blame for this shift in attitude).

Edited by TooFastTim

in the family uncle rode from aged 8 grandad rode until he couldnt do it anymore and he said i should have ago so last year i finally got the money together to buy a bike (beta rev3) 2 weeks later it got stolen so had to save again i finally just bought another bike (gas gas txt pro) and just practicing gunna join a club at the end of the month but im so happy i did :)

Time was when any interest in motorbikes led to buying Motor Cycle News or, going back a while, Motor Cycle. These weeklies always contained considerable coverage of trials back then (in the 60s and 70s). So having an interest in bikes in general led to an introduction to trials. Wouldn't happen now 'cos MCN completely ignores trials and the young lad or lass with a general interest in bikes probably wouldn't buy, or even find, a copy of TMX.

I rode motocross and hare scrambles in my youth in the early 70's. We knew a little bit about trials and a local club would have an event or two during the summer and I went to watch once. Most of the bikes were not dedicated trials bikes - but people just threw some large sprockets on their enduros. It was interesting......but I had a "Need for Speed" and kept riding my race bike. I stopped riding and racing when I went to college and sold my bike.

After about 35 years had passed I ended up owning a large piece of hilly and wooded property. I thought it would be great to have a motorcycle again, and I bought a Suzuki RL250 as I wanted a bike that was good at riding around the hills without making a bunch of noise or going too fast, and an older trials bike with a seat would probably be just the ticket.

After having the bike for a year or two I really started to enjoy riding it and the newer bikes became really appealing to me. I bought a used Sherco 290 and found it to be a huge improvement. Then a year later I sold it and bought a new Sherco 320.....and I love it.

I have not yet competed - but probably will do so in the summer of 2011. I don't have a big need to be a competitor again like I was when I was young (I am 55 now). I just really enjoy riding my bike around my property, climbing hills, jumping logs, etc. I am in great shape for my age and hopefully this bike will help me stay that way for another 10 - 15 years. When I am no longer safe to ride a trials bike.....maybe I can switch over and get an older Dual Sport or Enduro bike that has a low seat height and keep riding for more years.

I had a 97 beta techno for 6 months about 8 years ago, then got into bike trials and was riding that up until before christmas, sold that as I had lost all motivation and bought my 2001 sherco 2.9 10 days ago! Had an awesome first weekend riding at ESTC trials ground last weekend, I think the 8 years of bike trials is going to help abit!

I am planning on competing this year at the ESTC, maybe a few other trials here and there, Realy looking forward to it!

Adam

Edited by Bigman

Kickstart on telly.

14 years old in 1980.

Montesa cota 123.

it was a brilliant mix, really great times.....then.......

1982 FS1E - (didnt we all?), then Girls, beer, fast road bikes, road racing, enduro's and back to trials in 2001

These things go in cycles, by my reconing i should be out at cadwell on my 60th birthday on a 350 ypvs!