Why does 3 + infinity = 3?

ridgrunr

I'm sitting here looking at all that snow, with nothing better to do than ponder the unanswerable questions of the universe and have been wondering why 3 + infinity = 3? What's behind that concept of allowing unlimited dabs and still only getting 3 points? I know that it's just always been that way, but why? Isn't the idea here to get through the section without trying to get any points?

Seems like at every event, there's always a section or two that guys can't get through without paddling through the entire section. Can't even pretend they were riding the bike. I mean come on for heck sakes, I try like hell and manage only 3 dabs, scoring a true 3, while another guy slops though the section with 18 dabs and gets a 3 too? That just doesn't make any sense.

It makes more sense to actually score all the dabs...up to five. So it would be true score of 1, 2, 3, 4 and then the 5 being the section failure like any other failure. I guess if someone really liked the dab concept a section failure wouldn't have to happen till after the 5th dab, which would give three chances for a true dab, then on the 6th dab you are done.

I don't know. Just wondering and hating all that snow.

Edited by Ridgrunr

I like the sound of that, why not give a 4 for 4 or more dabs?

At least if you get 3 single dabs in a section you would save 1 mark over the person who foots all the way through.

We went all through this when a 2 was introduced. Hmmm that just might date me!

However I did ride a trial once where the observer on one section just counted all the dabs, made for some mighty scores.

Edited by jordi

Here's another view on the same subject. If we allowed 4's then the same argument about a five must be made.

Why should someone struggle and fight their way through a section for 4 marks when someone else has just four careful dabs and looses the same, then a rider failing the same section only looses one more mark.

I'm sitting here looking at all that snow, with nothing better to do than ponder the unanswerable questions of the universe and have been wondering why 3 + infinity = 3? What's behind that concept of allowing unlimited dabs and still only getting 3 points? I know that it's just always been that way, but why? Isn't the idea here to get through the section without trying to get any points?

Seems like at every event, there's always a section or two that guys can't get through without paddling through the entire section. Can't even pretend they were riding the bike. I mean come on for heck sakes, I try like hell and manage only 3 dabs, scoring a true 3, while another guy slops though the section with 18 dabs and gets a 3 too? That just doesn't make any sense.

It makes more sense to actually score all the dabs...up to five. So it would be true score of 1, 2, 3, 4 and then the 5 being the section failure like any other failure. I guess if someone really liked the dab concept a section failure wouldn't have to happen till after the 5th dab, which would give three chances for a true dab, then on the 6th dab you are done.

I don't know. Just wondering and hating all that snow.

Come over here & see what real trials are & then you'll understand.

Come over here & see what real trials are & then you'll understand.

Probably not going to get over there anytime soon, so enlighten us with your wisdom. Something to talk about on a snowy winter day. Why does 3+infinity=3?

Edited by Ridgrunr

Probably not going to get over there anytime soon, so enlighten us with your wisdom. Something to talk about on a snowy winter day. Why does 3+infinity=3?

It's a great leveller. Joe Expert goes through a section and drops 3 light (silly) dabs, Fred Clubman goes through the same section and centipedes his way through. Fred has the satisfaction of knowing he scored the same as Joe on that section.

you cant drop 3 'light' silly dabs in a section and claim that you rode it better than a centipede. 3 or more dabs means the section has won no matter how light your dabs.

No, but the centipede gets the satisfaction of knowing he did as well as the expert. Not quite the same thing.