Tyz V's Scorpa

johnnyboxer

The TYZ was 2 years out of date when it was introduced, so its not that suprising that it was a little behind the opposition in 98!

Remember when I got mine, how bad the steering was............have ridden home made pre-65 bikes, that were a lot better!

If it was already 2 years out of date when it was introduced in 93, PLEASE explain how it was winning Nationals in 98..?????????? If it was as bad as you suggest it wouldn't have made it through a single section. You're making statements which have no substance or fact to back them up.

As for the steering, the two main faults I found were not much lock and the front had a tendency to push out on mud when turning tight. However, as I said in my earlier post it didn't matter back in the early 90s as trick riding was in full flow so better riders hopped bikes, they didn't steer them around turns. Up rock streams though the steering was as good as anything as the front suspension works beautifully if set up right.

As for home-made Pre65 bikes steering better so what. Proves or means nothing. It's not exactly difficult for someone with engineering skills to copy the steering geometry of a brand new GasGas Pro - probably the best steering trials bike in the world.

Sorry guys to start the heated debate.

I really liked my TY175 and TY250R and the fact that they were good clubman's bikes............which were built like Swiss watches in terms of reliability.

However my 2004 Montesa 315R was ok but was a 'pain in the a**e' in terms of carburation.........never caburated the same way twice.

The TYZ maybe ugly but as they say.....'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and I reckon it looks ok and is well put together and with.... by all accounts........ a superb motor.

It may not steer like a Gasser........but for a Clubman/Inter does it really matter?

I prefer a bike that's well engineered and reliable to fragile and needs a spanner to it midweek.........so you can ride it at a weekend.

Does Birkett still make the NJB TYZ variants?

Does Birkett still make the NJB TYZ variants?

Sadly no, the jig has been put away for good. I managed to get a go on Nigel's own bike after the Lakes last year and was really impressed with it. It just felt right from the off and I loved it. I spent about 20 minutes on it in some woods down the road from the shop and just rode it. There was nothing to think about such as 'if this was like that, or that bit did this instead of that I could like this' - which is a sure sign everything is working correctly.

Steering was good although it would have been nice to have tried it in some mud and up some rock streams as well to get a more balanced idea but I don't think there would have been any nasty surprises. Front suspension is Piaoli (spelling?) but it is revalved and gave a beautifully plush action for the full length of travel. Not the usual bouncy feel that modern forks have.

The motor was superb, smooth as silk, no snatch or jerkiness coming off the throttle, it can be ridden without the clutch no problem. When you open it up the motor pulls really strongly, is absolutely linear in its delivery and revs to oblivion. The only thing I wanted that wasn;t there was the induction roar the TYZ has which I really like the sound of..... sad eh.

If I could have bought it off him I would but he will never sell it. :(

If only Yamaha has done something like this it would have been one hell of a bike.

As usual, as with anything that is a one-off or an unusual idea, the bike has had its share of knockers who have criticised various things about it but as with the 4RT, they have never even ridden it so criticism of its capabilities are without substance. Just seems fashionable to knock something new, innovative or different. Obviously it is each to their own, I like the look of it and the way it goes, but then I am a Yamaha fan and also have a lot of respect for Birkett's development abilities.

PS It is NBT - Nigel Birkett Trial at a guess. NJB are the shocks made by Norman Blakemore :D

• 1 year later...

I bought a TYZ and after riding a Sherco 290, it seems like the way I remember the air cooled but a bit better, for club trials it's probably more forgiving and yes it is heavier, but things happen a lot slower, as for the Scorpa TYZ debate, The TYZ just seems to do what it says on the tin, Just don't drop it off a waterfall, But I assume the scorpa is the same in a lot of respects, and also has the bonus of next to zero depreciation

Interesting thread this as I have just bought a 94 TYz on Saturday 24th Feb.

I have been to watch a couple of Trials and Joined Consett Trials Club yesterday and intend to take the plunge this Spring.

I also have an Aprilia Climber and the TYz is a lot more forgiving and looks a lot easier for the middle aged fat novice!

Look out for us on North East Club Trials and pop ofer for a Chat.

• 2 years later...
The difference between a TYZ and Scorpa is so different in every department.

Having ridden the very first 1984 TY 250 mono and up dating to a new TY each year for 6 years I have always been a Yamaha Diehard.Had a break till 1991 season and was assured a Beta was the way to go,mid way through that year I had my first ride on a TY 250 pinkie and immediatly knew I,d bought the wrong bike for me.

In 92 changed to a TY 250 pinkie and loved it. At the beginning of 93 bought a new TYZ 250 and only kept it for two months and replaced it with another pinkie.

The TYZ was not for me.It was too heavy. no steering lock,every time you rode it you ended up with bruised sore knees from the wide frame..

Compared to a pinkie I found it a dinasoar to ride,energy consuming and just so unresponsive suspension wise.The water cooled motor was certainly an improvement on the air cooled for keeping it at a more consistant idle,and it has proven to be one of the most reliable motors ever.

For the next two years I purchased a New TY 250 pinkie and was the happiest trials rider round.Then the Yamaha importers told me there would be no more available as they had stopped production.

I was not comfortable with the more aggressive power of the european bikes,so I purchased three new Japanese versions of the pinkie and stored them away, which I thought was a good idea at the time...if I got two years out of each bike that would take me up to 2001 ...surely something that I liked would come along by then, if I was still able to ride a bike.

In 2000 there was talk of Scorpa releasing there new SY 250 with a TYZ motor.Got in contact with Scorpa importer an put my name on it .Im now on my fifth SY 250 and love them better than any other new bike available.

Scorpas even though they have a 12 plus year old motor are obviously over looked by many because they have no name riders competing on them in the world rounds.

These bikes are not world championship machinery,but they are the easiest,gentlest most unintimidating bikes to ride.

There power can be increased or decreased so quickly and easily with addition of flywheel weights ,a slow throttle or timing change.

There suspension for the vast majority of riders is more than adequate,finding traction in the slippy conditions so well and being so plush nimble and sure footed in loose or rocky terrain.

The only problem I,ve encounted was the 03 foot pegs being to frail and easily snapped.

The ease of starting and low maintanance is also a big winner.

It amazes me to see so many young riders,especially girls being put onto the more aggressive 2 stroke machines after growing out of there Ty 80,s or similar and are clearly frightened by their new mount,I think a lot of Dads are too bike loyal to think of there child not riding the brand they ride.

So the best thing to do is have a ride and draw your own conclusion....Where all looking for what suits the best to your riding style and ABILITY.

but steveo........your now riding a GAS GAS.!...what gives??.........................................................massso

• 7 years later...

Well, 12 years later................I finally bought a 1996 TYZ 

Quite like her, nice to ride with loads of mods

Footpegs have been lowered/moved back quite a lot, somebody has made some trick custom hangers and fitted Scorpa wide pegs

Headstock has been sculptured to gain a far bit of extra lock and with 6" Renthal bars feels nicer to ride now

Front caliper is a modern AJP one 

Lots of other fabbed special bits like an alloy chainguard and strengthened and gussetted rear subframe

Somebody who was good with alloy welding and fabrication has spent a fair few hours on this bike

Smooth power, with plenty of torque

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

Well, 12 years later................I finally bought a 1996 TYZ 

Quite like her, nice to ride with loads of mods

Footpegs have been lowered/moved back quite a lot, somebody has made some trick custom hangers and fitted Scorpa wide pegs

Headstock has been sculptured to gain a far bit of extra lock and with 6" Renthal bars feels nicer to ride now

Front caliper is a modern AJP one 

Lots of other fabbed special bits like an alloy chainguard and strengthened and gussetted rear subframe

Somebody who was good with alloy welding and fabrication has spent a fair few hours on this bike

Smooth power, with plenty of torque

Pics brother, pics!  ;)

• 5 years later...

i have just bought a 2006 scorpa sy 250 for 400 pound,it needs a little tidy up as its been stood for 2 years but looking forward to getting out on it i will post some pics soon.

Edited by crossley

11 hours ago, b40rt said:

5 or 6 TYZ 's entered in this year's ssdt ! (Also 2 Fantic's )

They’ll all get further than the EM’s entered 🤣 

I loved my TYZ, it was a great bike. Nothing handles like a TYZ in a stream. You’ll have loads of fun on that 👍

• Thanks 2

On 4/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, jrsunt said:

They’ll all get further than the EM’s entered 🤣 

I loved my TYZ, it was a great bike. Nothing handles like a TYZ in a stream. You’ll have loads of fun on that 👍

Thanks, I am and have been for a few years

Lovely bikes