Turning?

Gosh it is hard to give a quick lesson on such a HUGE topic..... 99% of your dabs will come from a turn. Think of these points individually. Everyone has a better way of doing it

Subtle movements (don't try to be a gymnast)

Shoulders horizontal (drop a shoulder and you will dab - this is the SINGLE (!!!!!!!!!) most important line to say to your self)

Turn your arms and not your shoulders (If you turn your shoulders you bum will swing out to counter the shoulder movement - causing an imbalance and a dab)

The bike leans in to the turn a little (shoulders horizontal)

From standing upright - bend your knees a little and lean the bike against the inside leg

Look at where you want to go not at the problem 100mm in front of the tyre

Teach a friend these rules and get them to critique your style. My wife does it all the time.... "you dropped your shoulder"..... yes i know honey, I'm sorry, forgive me.

Practice, practice, practice this until you cry. Practice figure 8's on the flat. Practice around a few bricks. Practice on a hill. It is all i did for months as a beginner.

Edited by NZRalphy

Gosh it is hard to give a quick lesson on such a HUGE topic..... 99% of your dabs will come from a turn. Think of these points individually. Everyone has a better way of doing it

Subtle movements (don't try to be a gymnast)

Shoulders horizontal (drop a shoulder and you will dab - this is the SINGLE (!!!!!!!!!) most important line to say to your self)

Turn your arms and not your shoulders (If you turn your shoulders you bum will swing out to counter the shoulder movement - causing an imbalance and a dab)

The bike leans in to the turn a little (shoulders horizontal)

From standing upright - bend your knees a little and lean the bike against the inside leg

Look at where you want to go not at the problem 100mm in front of the tyre

Teach a friend these rules and get them to critique your style. My wife does it all the time.... "you dropped your shoulder"..... yes i know honey, I'm sorry, forgive me.

Practice, practice, practice this until you cry. Practice figure 8's on the flat. Practice around a few bricks. Practice on a hill. It is all i did for months as a beginner.

Thanks! I've been trying to do most of those things but I guess its all mind over matter and trying to get my brain and my body to corporate. But don't worry my fiance is making me do figure 8's and circles til I fall over dizzy or run out of gas and fall over whichever comes first. ;)

Edited by iHateRocks

Well I'm new to this world of trials and I need major help with turning. Can anyone give me any tips to help?

Turning on the flat or turning in a section? When you make a turn in a section picture where your back wheel will go and pick the line for the front wheel accordingly. If you pick a nice line in a section for your front wheel your back wheel might end up going over/into an inconvenient obstacle. There's a good example of picking a line on the new (2010) Mick Andrews DVD; he also has things to say about turning per se with examples of turning in circles, figure 8s and slaloms.

Thanks! I've been trying to do most of those things but I guess its all mind over matter and trying to get my brain and my body to corporate. But don't worry my fiance is making me do figure 8's and circles til I fall over dizzy or run out of gas and fall over whichever comes first. ;)

Just to add a couple of things: inside arm straight-outside bent, weight on the outside peg, weight on the outside peg, weight on the outside peg. Just to make it a little more complicated; you initiate a turn with pressure on the inside peg but quickly transfer weight to the outside. You can practice this when going down a curvy trail by doing it kind of like a skier.

Just to add a couple of things: inside arm straight-outside bent, weight on the outside peg, weight on the outside peg, weight on the outside peg. Just to make it a little more complicated; you initiate a turn with pressure on the inside peg but quickly transfer weight to the outside. You can practice this when going down a curvy trail by doing it kind of like a skier.

There are some BAD issues with this approach Neil.

What Ryan will teach is applying and maintaining inside peg pressure, inside arm straight, lean the bike and maintain untillyou need to straighten up. ALL situations!

If you get accustomed to transferring weight to the outside peg in a turn, you will suddenly find yourself pushing or wheeling right out the tapes on an uphill transition,and the front gets light. Only way to maintain the turn is with the inside peg! And this transitions perfectly into the floater! :rolleyes:

Keeping the bike in balance with the feet just lets the front follow and flow, as it will just roll over all sorts of stuff.!

Edited by copemech
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

There are some BAD issues with this approach Neil.

What Ryan will teach is applying and maintaining inside peg pressure, inside arm straight, lean the bike and maintain untillyou need to straighten up. ALL situations!

If you get accustomed to transferring weight to the outside peg in a turn, you will suddenly find yourself pushing or wheeling right out the tapes on an uphill transition,and the front gets light. Only way to maintain the turn is with the inside peg! And this transitions perfectly into the floater! :rolleyes:

Keeping the bike in balance with the feet just lets the front follow and flow, as it will just roll over all sorts of stuff.and#33;

I'm having real problems with pushing and/or wheelying in tight corners. I'm pretty sure it's because I don't lean the bike over enough and maybe this is because of weighting the outside peg. However, if it's slick or turning up hill, doesn't weighting the inside peg make the rear step out? I come from an enduro background and the technique there is to always weight the outside peg once you're in the turn.

Other things that might be important - I'm way to heavy for the springs. I raised the forks 10mm or so to try and improve the turning but this has made the pushing/jack-knife worse, if anything. 

The problem I have is that I can do tight turns/8s on flat grass or in the drive but that doesn't replicate up-hill or muddy turns at all. I literally cannot go around corners! it's so embarrassing!  I don't have any real problems with hills or descents or small obstacles. 

Any help appreciated - I want to practice but I've obviously got the wrong technique. Two very good riders have given me opposite instructions on turning, so that didn't help. 

Edited by al_orange

You turn with inside peg pressure, not your arms at all. That is what saves your arms. Find a place with plenty of room and very smooth. Slowly get used to the idea of only peg pressure. Now start riding with only your right hand. Use only peg pressure and throttle control. When you can easily do figure eights one handed, go back to both arms and try your harder turns.