Lengthening TY175 swingarm

feetupfun

Hi Steve

The steering on that TY175 with the frame mods is as good as I have ever felt on a twinshock, so I have no desire to change the steering angle. I suspect that the fore-aft weight balance of the bike+rider also has a lot to do with the steering as well as the steering geometry.

Yes I do ride (other people's) moderns now and then and find that there are so many differences to a twinshock in how they are to ride, that I have trouble riding anywhere near the same standard as I can on a twinshock, so can't really comment on differences in the steering.

I think that the TY175 with the frame mods has better ergonomics than the standard TY175 because the handlebars are now higher and further forwards, which gives more room to move around on the bike, and the stance is slightly more upright. I am only average size but feel a bit cramped on the standard frame bike. A smaller rider may not find those changes to be a benefit.

The TY175 with the YZ125 clutch cover has a motor which has the bottom end from a 3H8 prefix motor (DT175E I think). The motor came with that YZ125 clutch cover. I haven't tried to fit the YZ125 cover to a TY175 motor. I'm only thinking it is a cover from a YZ125 because it looks the same to me as covers on late 1970s YZ125 (DEF) and IT175 (DEF), which lines up age-wise with the DT175E. Maybe the earlier YZ125 motors (ABCX models) had slightly different clutch covers that will fit the TY175. An easy way to check these things is to look up the part numbers for the clutch cover gaskets for the different models.

I will take a photo of the longer TY175 brake link and to avoid external photo hosting, will probably post it on the Aussie trials website.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the yz125 case is what I have been led to believe will fit the TY, but there are obviously different ones available. I will look up the gasket part numbers as recommended - that sounds like a sure way of tracking down the right cover. I saw this mod on a TY last fall and it looked very clean.

• 7 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve

The steering on that TY175 with the frame mods is as good as I have ever felt on a twinshock, so I have no desire to change the steering angle. I suspect that the fore-aft weight balance of the bike+rider also has a lot to do with the steering as well as the steering geometry.

Yes I do ride (other people's) moderns now and then and find that there are so many differences to a twinshock in how they are to ride, that I have trouble riding anywhere near the same standard as I can on a twinshock, so can't really comment on differences in the steering.

I think that the TY175 with the frame mods has better ergonomics than the standard TY175 because the handlebars are now higher and further forwards, which gives more room to move around on the bike, and the stance is slightly more upright. I am only average size but feel a bit cramped on the standard frame bike. A smaller rider may not find those changes to be a benefit.

The TY175 with the YZ125 clutch cover has a motor which has the bottom end from a 3H8 prefix motor (DT175E I think). The motor came with that YZ125 clutch cover. I haven't tried to fit the YZ125 cover to a TY175 motor. I'm only thinking it is a cover from a YZ125 because it looks the same to me as covers on late 1970s YZ125 (DEF) and IT175 (DEF), which lines up age-wise with the DT175E. Maybe the earlier YZ125 motors (ABCX models) had slightly different clutch covers that will fit the TY175. An easy way to check these things is to look up the part numbers for the clutch cover gaskets for the different models.

I will take a photo of the longer TY175 brake link and to avoid external photo hosting, will probably post it on the Aussie trials website.

Nice Work. I've seen these on eBay and wondered how they work.

Simon - http://motorcyclerestorations.blogspot.com/