Is a sprite Pre65?

monty_jon

oooooh! get them on! the more evidence the better! dad always swore they where competing sprites before 65 (only just i may add)

It was never the "competing" bit i was queerying. It was the available to and used by Joe Public i wasnt convinced about.

Thing is there were Bultacos competing pre65 also so they should be also elegable to compete in Scotland and all other pre65 classes if the fact that there were ones competing is the decider :thumbup:

• Dislike 1

Says 1964 here.

My link

Colin

Thanks for that an interesting link however it only says "As a result, in 1964 he decided to go into business as a manufacturer" doesnt say when or what was produced trials or scrambles.

Think this one will play and play.

Whatever the Sprite is DEFINATELY in the spirit of pre65. I had one of the Villiers engined ones and it was crap so as i say definately in the spirit :thumbup:

• Dislike 1

Hi Guy's.

You could always ask Frank?? I have is e-mail address!!

Denis Jones, rode a Cotton with modification up and till the Scottish of 1965. And he was the Sprite Works,Trials rider at the time!!

Regards Charlie. :thumbup:

If Comerfords had second hand ones for sale (1964 models) in 1965, surly that’s proof?

I’m starting to wonder if its worth the trouble even putting a post on here, about Pre65 too many doubters!

I don’t have a sprite, so its makes no difference to me! :shutup:

Edited by Monty_Jon

Hi Guy's,

Hi Monty Jon.

Not having a go at you!!

But there always has been this doubt about when the kits were available to the public.

The one for sale in the add, Could have been a bike built up with a frame for assessment by Comerfords, or one of the modified Cottons, with Sprite badges, but there really is no proof. It really does not matter to me, as you know what I think of the Pre 65 argument!!

PS, Have just picked up a Motor Cycle dated 20 April 1967, to check that I spelt Comerfords right, and there is a 1964 Sprite 500 scrambler listed, and a 1965 Sprite scrambler, also a 1959 Ariel HT 500, price

• Like 1

Basically, but designed primarily for scrambling. In trials form it had a rear sprocket about 3 thou less in diameter than a 4.00 by 18, or so it seemed. :D

Agreed it was ginormous. Remember the write ups at the time slating it as being totally useless. Remember seeing a couple at trials but never seen one since.

I always liked the Sachs engined Sprites especially the big fin engine ones.

Back to the theme of this thread. No offence meant Monty but as Charlie said it's so hard to prove when the frame kits were actually for sale to the general public. Remember the Sprite at that time was a kit not a complete bike. Let me just give you an example. My James was constructed in 2009 from new parts and parts from a James donor bike that was registered in 1959. The bike carries that bikes registration and is entered as a 1959 James as per the registration document, that is the norm by the way in Pre65 trials, however is it a 1959 James or a 2009 James ? Remember it was effectively constructed using a frame kit as were the Sprites.

• Dislike 1

My James was constructed in 2009 from new parts and parts from a James donor bike that was registered in 1959. The bike carries that bikes registration and is entered as a 1959 James as per the registration document, that is the norm by the way in Pre65 trials, however is it a 1959 James or a 2009 James ? Remember it was effectively constructed using a frame kit as were the Sprites.

Easy, it's a 2009 James.

Agreed it was ginormous. Remember the write ups at the time slating it as being totally useless. Remember seeing a couple at trials but never seen one since.

I always liked the Sachs engined Sprites especially the big fin engine ones.

Back to the theme of this thread. No offence meant Monty but as Charlie said it's so hard to prove when the frame kits were actually for sale to the general public. Remember the Sprite at that time was a kit not a complete bike. Let me just give you an example. My James was constructed in 2009 from new parts and parts from a James donor bike that was registered in 1959. The bike carries that bikes registration and is entered as a 1959 James as per the registration document, that is the norm by the way in Pre65 trials, however is it a 1959 James or a 2009 James ? Remember it was effectively constructed using a frame kit as were the Sprites.

Sorry guys it me being a bit grumpy, I