Montesa Tank Strap Expalination

sir dabs alot

I am in the process of redoing a Montesa Cota 242, 1983 model and I ordered new tank straps to go on the freshly painted tank. I have all of the pieces according to a manual I found on line but it isn't making sense to me. What I have is two straps, each of which have a pull tab with a metal loop just above the pull tab on one end that I'm assuming clips onto the frame hooks and the other end that attaches under the tank is just enlarged at the end of the strap in a cylindrical shape with a small hole going through the length of the cylinder shaped rubber part. By logic I would assume another metal loop would go through the small hole running the length of the cylindrical shaped piece of rubber at the end of the strap. Looking at the parts manual, the only thing shown under the tank with the end of the strap in question is a bracket that is shaped like a triangle with a hole at the top of it for a bolt and an oblong hole at the base of it. Do I just feed the strap through the oblong hole and let the enlarged tubular part of the strap with the tiny hole in it hold itself in place by resistance alone or am I missing something?

By the way, the bike had make shift tank straps when I got it so refering to them doesn't help me much.....

I realize this may be hard to follow without a picture....

Edited by Trialsin1

I am in the process of redoing a Montesa Cota 242, 1983 model and I ordered new tank straps to go on the freshly painted tank. I have all of the pieces according to a manual I found on line but it isn't making sense to me. What I have is two straps, each of which have a pull tab with a metal loop just above the pull tab on one end that I'm assuming clips onto the frame hooks and the other end that attaches under the tank is just enlarged at the end of the strap in a cylindrical shape with a small hole going through the length of the cylinder shaped rubber part. By logic I would assume another metal loop would go through the small hole running the length of the cylindrical shaped piece of rubber at the end of the strap. Looking at the parts manual, the only thing shown under the tank with the end of the strap in question is a bracket that is shaped like a triangle with a hole at the top of it for a bolt and an oblong hole at the base of it. Do I just feed the strap through the oblong hole and let the enlarged tubular part of the strap with the tiny hole in it hold itself in place by resistance alone or am I missing something?

By the way, the bike had make shift tank straps when I got it so refering to them doesn't help me much.....

I realize this may be hard to follow without a picture....

Nope , your not missing anything,how you describe it is how it goes.Origionaly the small hole in the top of the triangular metal peice would have attatched to a stud moulded into the fibreglass tank,however most just rot away / pull out.I just drilled the tank and put a nice stainless dome head allen bolt through to hold it all in place.

Edited by cotacrazy

Nope , your not missing anything,how you describe it is how it goes.Origionaly the small hole in the top of the triangular metal peice would have attatched to a stud moulded into the fibreglass tank,however most just rot away / pull out.I just drilled the tank and put a nice stainless dome head allen bolt through to hold it all in place.

thanks, I had the same idea of using a high quality rounded allen head screw to attach it with. I'll post some pics when I finish.