Scottish ballot

petejohn

if you can explain the meaning of life why toast always lands jam side down on the kitchen floor why sid always gets the good looking girl the you would nt be even half way to understanding how the ballot works.. although to be fair although still very grey the club have made movements in the right direction but its there trial they can run it how they see fit for who they want and choose who else gets to ride.

if you can explain the meaning of life why toast always lands jam side down on the kitchen floor why sid always gets the good looking girl the you would nt be even half way to understanding how the ballot works.. although to be fair although still very grey the club have made movements in the right direction but its there trial they can run it how they see fit for who they want and choose who else gets to ride.

Totally agree the work that goes into this event is frightening and it seems only fair that the organisers can invite whoever they like to their party.

Good luck to all the entrants :thumbup:

Slightly unfair given that I explain it in depth year, after year, after year, after year....

Are you really going to make me go through it all again? :)

It must be like being in the Vatican when the new Pope is selected - would dearly like to see how many people actually end up in the hat after all the friends/names/yesterdays hero's/siblings of yesterdays hero's/girlfriends of yesterdays hero's/lifelong SSDT supporters etc etc are sorted.

BUT having ridden the trials loads of times before they needed the ballott, having been successful for 2 or 3 years in the ballott, and having failed a couple of times before I hung my boots up can I echo the sentiments of the previous posts:

It's the best trial in the world run by a dedicated crew - they can pick who they like to ride you won't get any complaints from me

It must be like being in the Vatican when the new Pope is selected - would dearly like to see how many people actually end up in the hat after all the friends/names/yesterdays hero's/siblings of yesterdays hero's/girlfriends of yesterdays hero's/lifelong SSDT supporters etc etc are sorted.

Am off to dig out last year's explanation of how it all works before my blood pressure goes up any further. :)

Last year a chap called Trev Lovesy wrote to TMX with one of the usual ballot complaints. He raised three points, not all of which are relevant to this discussion, but you might as well have the lot! The points he raised were :

1. He wanted to know how to get a guaranteed entry into the Scottish
  2. He raised two specific riders as examples of riders added to the entry list after entries had closed
  3. He questioned how the ballot was actually done

Here's the letter I wrote in reply, which should hopefully answer your questions / dissolve your accusations (delete as appropriate!) :

I read Trev Lovesy

Am off to dig out last year's explanation of how it all works before my blood pressure goes up any further. :)

You tell em Mhari :thumbup:

In fact it would be less stressful if you just said it was a fix and let them be :icon_salut:

Hi

So can someone explain how the ballot works, who gets automaticly accepted, how the reserve list works and can you ride without any form of backup.

Pete

Think my last post covers the ballot (!) - the reserve list works in exactly the same way. Those who miss out are asked to register their interest in being on the reserve list if they want to. All those who do so have their names put in a hat - as and when a reserve place comes up, a name is drawn out of that and they are the replacement rider. It's a ballot too, plain and simple - it's the only fair way to allocate places.

As for riding without backup, that's the whole purpose of the trial. One man and his machine against the elements, no backup necessary! :)

Don't take it to heart - aside from a few inevitable grumbles most right thinking folk take the rough with the smooth and understand that sorting out the entry list in a fair way to all is almost impossible so are happy for the organisers to make the best sense of it they can.

Apologies if my earlier post caused offence.

Don't take it to heart - aside from a few inevitable grumbles most right thinking folk take the rough with the smooth and understand that sorting out the entry list in a fair way to all is almost impossible so are happy for the organisers to make the best sense of it they can.

Apologies if my earlier post caused offence.

No offence taken, don't worry! I'm not that easily offended - you got to have a thick skin in this job! I just like to have the odd grumble here and there along with the rest of you. :D

I know Andy wanted this post kept just to the SSDT but i just wanted to thank Highland Lassie for posting that response from T&MX. I never saw it as i never bother wasting my hard earned on it. I already have plenty of free papers for the cats litter tray. The response could have been written about the Pre65 and explains the ballot process for both events perfectly.

I think most of the confusion stems from the term "ballot" which most people interpret differently to the way it has been explained by Highland Lassie. Perhaps the term "invite" would be more easily understood?

Must admit i now understand much more the process thank you.