Bike rack on corsa

scotty97

Some points to consider.

1. The tow ball nose weight allowance for your vehicle (ie the kgs down force) at this point creates 'lift' at the front = upset handling / cornering / braking / grip , which if exceeded could result in an accident to which you would be liable (insurance would run a mile from you !)

2. The twist effect that the combined weight of rack and bike will impart on the towbar and where it is fixed to the vehicle.

3. The overhang each side of the vehicle - THIS is the thing that PC Traffic Plod will spot first - if its excessive (which with that vehicle I suspect it will be )then expect to be treated to the blue light disco.

Personally I'd go for a compact trailer with adequate axle width. = Safe & legal - peace of mind.

Cheers

GAW

Edited by Scoobydo

The question might have been asked before, I got to sell my pick up, but I have a 1.7 corsa diesel, r reg, just wondering if this will be capable of carry a dave cooper bike rack with my sherco 290 on????

Maximum tow ball weight will be something like 75kg.... no more.

If towing a trailer, you should be able to put hitch of the fully loaded trailer on a set of scales and the reading be no more than this figure.

I suspect that the same will be true of a bike rack. Put the fully loaded rack on a set of scales and see if it exceeds 75kg and you have your answer.

I’ve had one for a few years on my car and van, does towing weight actually apply, as you are not strictly towing?

(there is no increased load as there is no trailer pushing forward/down during braking)

Also the weight is not on the tow ball its actually behind directly on the tow assembly, Ive seen quite a few also towing a trailer as well as having a bike on the rack!

What difference is it to having 100kgs in the boot?

I hope its legal as it’s the best thing I’ve ever bought for carrying my bike! :)

Edited by Monty_Jon

Ok my argument may be flawed, a tow bar with a bike rack does not come under the same forces as a tow bar with a trailer attached.

However, I was amazed to find out just how little weight should be applied to the tow bar on my car. I modified my tailer to keep within this figure when it was loaded with three trials bikes as it was way, way over when I tested it.

Anyway, HERE'S a very helpfull link for Vauxhall owners. You will see that the Corsa should actually only have 50Kg applied to it.

Pete

Ok my argument may be flawed, a tow bar with a bike rack does not come under the same forces as a tow bar with a trailer attached.

However, I was amazed to find out just how little weight should be applied to the tow bar on my car. I modified my tailer to keep within this figure when it was loaded with three trials bikes as it was way, way over when I tested it.

Anyway, HERE'S a very helpfull link for Vauxhall owners. You will see that the Corsa should actually only have 50Kg applied to it.

Pete

Yes, I had the same problem with my trailer, had to move the wheels forward

It would be nice to know what the rack manufactures say about the nose weight, they have pictures on their site of cars with racks & bikes fitted? (Surly this would be misleading advertising)

All they state is a maximum of 130kgs (rack rating) :thumbup:

the post re having a fat lad in the back seat is probaly about right.. can your car lug a bike round on the back sure..can the car cope physically well my polo and punti both did for a couple of years a piece with a royal enfield or a trail bike on.. does it over hang front and back sure... but so do caravans... does it pass muster with the manufacturer never.. do you think they would sign off on... hanging a 110kg off the bumper and boot floor?..

practically make it look neat tell the guy fitting the bar what your doing with it use a pukka lightboard and bingo..

the post re having a fat lad in the back seat is probaly about right.. can your car lug a bike round on the back sure..can the car cope physically well my polo and punti both did for a couple of years a piece with a royal enfield or a trail bike on.. does it over hang front and back sure... but so do caravans... does it pass muster with the manufacturer never.. do you think they would sign off on... hanging a 110kg off the bumper and boot floor?..

practically make it look neat tell the guy fitting the bar what your doing with it use a pukka lightboard and bingo..

Not having a pop at this reply but...... simply using it to draw attention to some points.

Overloading a motor vehicle is an RTA offence. - ie Too much load on rear axle.

Making a motor vehicle un-road worthy is an RTA offence. - ie too much rear cantilever load outback upsetting the steering/ braking etc upfront think greasy slippy roads ?? (remember its you who is also involved in a crunch too)

Making additions to the car to increase its width beyond I understand 250mm each side (stand corrected) I believe is not allowed ie RTA offence.

Cant compare to a caravan as they are built to RTA rules and also in the dark they have front width position lamps fitted. Whereas a bike stuck out each side is unlit to on coming traffic.

To tow AND have a bike on a rack as well on a typical family car - that is simply madness and is gross overloading and they are certainly asking to be in the deep stuff with the law / insurance / their's and other road users saftey.

Question. Most british standard (not swan neck) tow bars are made from 40 x 40 x 3 section with the ball fixing plate welded to the end. Its not the weld thats likley to fail - but the actual box material itself under such load, think of the bounce, vibrate, shear, twisting and potential tearing forces imposed overtime all going back to that one central towbar neck / stem.

So without going into all the complex engineering design calculations on this one to further argue this point, put simply.....

On that basis alone would you take the risk ?

A trailer however is a totally different kind of loading, and used correctly is FAR safer and is (if RTA compliant) fully acceptable to the law.

Makes you think eh ?

Cheers.

Edited by Scoobydo

Yes, but a standard tow bar assembly is designed to withstand the force of an 800kg un-braked trailer and capable of pulling even more (some are secured to the vehicle with only 6 x M10 Bolts!)

I would guess the forces applied by this would far exceed that of a trials bike on a frame

(granted, not so much twisting force)

most tow-balls are not directly mounted behind the 40x40mm box section, so a large shear force iwould be applied

I would also like to here what the manufactures of the bike frames say on the matter, as I would think the would be ultimately liable in the event of a failure?

The instructions for mine stated Max load as 120kgs

Edited by Monty_Jon

In days of yore a group from the Borders used to travel together in a diesel Merc with: five bikes on the trailer, one across the back on a homemade rack of substantial channel and the TY 80 in the boot.

All the riders and at least one observer managed to fit in the car.

Corsa Schmorsa.

In days of yore a group from the Borders used to travel together in a diesel Merc with: five bikes on the trailer, one across the back on a homemade rack of substantial channel and the TY 80 in the boot.

All the riders and at least one observer managed to fit in the car.

Corsa Schmorsa.

KT250's were also considered cutting edge !