Bike rack on corsa

scotty97

a quick check on the fiat website shows a punto as been five foot six wide thats 66 inches plus your 10 each side thats 86 or 7 foot 2 max.... and a typical trials bike is circa 76 inches max length /// so in thoery you could carry a harley 850 sportster on a rack width wise...

the six bolts supporting the bar on the punto can pull a 1000kg trailer and if you allowed for 75% of the trailers weight to be carried on the wheels of the trailer that puts 250kg on the tow ball which is exactly the weight of a harley 1200 custom!!

the rack would also have to endure much greater forces on the tow ball when towing a 100kg not just when pulling but also under braking and the twisting whilst cornering especially with modern ball locking devices to ensure 'snake' free driving

a legitimate question would be. is a rack a legal entity .. has anyone been prosectuted for using a properly fitted rack with bike properly secured and properly light..

Edited by totalshell

I reckon trials bike riders probably own the greatest percentage of bike racks out there - so anyone on this forum ever actually have any problems with one failing? the plod? getting out of muddy fields with FWD?

If I get 10 replies giving 1st hand bad experience I'd be amazed....

For those not recomending the use of one, sure it may exceed nose weight... but as stated a really heavy load in the boot would have the same effect on handling, and has a bike rack ever failed?

They are easy and convenient for those without the money / space for a trailer

I reckon trials bike riders probably own the greatest percentage of bike racks out there - so anyone on this forum ever actually have any problems with one failing? the plod? getting out of muddy fields with FWD?

If I get 10 replies giving 1st hand bad experience I'd be amazed....

For those not recomending the use of one, sure it may exceed nose weight... but as stated a really heavy load in the boot would have the same effect on handling, and has a bike rack ever failed?

They are easy and convenient for those without the money / space for a trailer

I'be got a Dave Cooper rack. Its the best £90 I’ve spent, it’s a lot better than a trailer, never had a single problem! :thumbup:

I’ve had quite a few problems with trailers over the years!

Edited by Monty_Jon