Oset Batteries Lithium (LiPo) Conversion Directions

betarambo

Hi I feel so stupid as don't really know what you are saying? Iv found a battery it's a lifepo4 24v 10ah and it's just one big battery but they do a 36v one aswel and I was just wondering if that would work ok and last longer? I would love to do the lipo conversion but I think I'm just to stupid lol

I'm running a 24v oset 16 on 36 volts, and it goes very well.  No modifications, just swapped the battery (and charger).  This thread has pretty much everything you need to know about a lipo conversion if you read back through it, and it is also pretty easy.  The lipos can be dangerous if not treated correctly though, so its probably wise to steer clear of them if you don't think you understand them.

I haven't tried the LiFEPO4, but from what I've read on electric car forums they offer much better performance than lead acid, but not as good as lipo, but are also more forgiving/less likely to burst into flames, so may be good for you.

• Like 1

Ok brill thanks for getting back to me I think I may do the lifepo4 batteries as iv read this whole thread and still don't understand what is what lol. I would be fine with the charging did of it and buying the stuff to do it its just the instalation on to the bike I won't be great at.

Ok brill thanks for getting back to me I think I may do the lifepo4 batteries as iv read this whole thread and still don't understand what is what lol. I would be fine with the charging did of it and buying the stuff to do it its just the instalation on to the bike I won't be great at.

The installation for me was just attaching an xt60 connector to blade connectors to match where the oset batteries connect.

A part to connect the lipos in parallel (24v) or series (36V) can be bought from hobbyking.

I originally changed the lipo battery connectors to XT60, but more recently have just been buying adapters for that from hobbyking too.

Then all you need to do is make sure you have plus and minus the right way around and don't short circuit anything.  The XT60s make it pretty hard to get anything wrong once it is put together the first time.

There is also the physical mounting of the batteries.  I just stuck them in the silicone sleeves from hobbyking and strapped them down with the original velcro.  Other people have stuck them in a fireproof bag or even built a metal box for extra safety, really just mechanical.

I can look up the part numbers of the adapters etc if you are interested.

If you don't change the voltage the standard controller will work with lipo.  On mine (2007 model I think) it will still work with 36v (9 cells in series LiPo).  

I haven't touched anything on the bike other than unplugging the old batteries and plugging in new ones.

I think I read that on some of the later 24v models, particularly the 12.5s the controller may not work at 36v, which would necessitate changing it. 

O right I'm running 36v through my 24v at the mo anyway so does that mean all I got to do is wire lipo batteries? If so could you please tell me exactly what I need as I will try and do it this weekend if all I need to do is change the oset spades and link the batteries together. Do I need a new charger and can they be charged in place I'm currently taking out my batteries to charge them

i would still go down the route of using lifepo4 , they can be bought from Hobby king and look very simular to lipo but they do cost a little more. You still will have to wire them up but they are a little more forgiving than lipo, they have very simular performance/size and weight to lipo.

you will need 3 of these for a 36v battery http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=32206

plus a charger and all the adaptors and connecting leads .. 

If you are in the uk .. if you do get batterys from hobbyking make sure you get them from the uk warehouse of you will get stung on postage and import duty.

Edited by gwhy

if you dont also get a charger ( spesic chaarger ) tehn you would aslo have to get a bms for tehj complet setup...    still drunks !!!!

edir: ask me again when in sober. 

Edited by gwhy