Oset Batteries Lithium (LiPo) Conversion Directions

betarambo

13 minutes ago, lennie said:

I don't know a lot about these batteries, read about them on ebike forums they prefer them over the hobby king batteries. I am going to get a decent battery before summer for my lads 36v oset hobby king have been out of stock for my ideal batteries fir ages so ive been looking for alternatives.

these are called 18650 and are found in laptop batteries and TESLA cars

These cells are great but also there are not so great Chinese versions that advertise as 9000 mah but have like 500mah

just looked up the spec for these cells:   ( as long as they are genuine cells then )  10A max discharge for a single cell (3-4C)   found some discharge graphs   discharge @ 2C capacity drops to around 2000mah per cell so that then becomes a 8000mah pack is discharging @ 2C and from what i can tell in do not include a bms with that listing ... it should be ok for a small 36v bike that dont get taxed to hard ( much better with 2 packs) as long as a suitable bms is also installed, then the cost dont look so good . you would need a CC-CV charger to charge these batterys so the standard sla  charger will not do the job.

• Like 1

this is one of the main problems with electric bikes... there is not a lot of room on a bike to put batterys. ebike batterys ( legal ebikes ) are only rated for a max of around (average) 500w ( these depends where in the world you are ) and all legal ebikes should do no more than a average of 15mph ( again depend where you are in the world ) now those batterys in the link will be fine for this sort of spec but once you start getting into higher power or higher speeds the choices are few... higher voltage  runs a motor faster and the plus side to this that less discharge current ( from the batterys ) is needed for the same power .. . the big down side to this is that small motors ( the ones on bikes ) run way to fast to gear it down to a sensible speed if a high voltage is used so there is always a compromise between voltage and current.  i.e the telsa indeed do run on laptop batterys ( well the very yealy models ) but they ran on about 350v so to get the power needed the discharge current will not have to be so much.. if you run a small bike (oset 16 ) on 350v (dont try it as the motor is not designed for that sort of voltage :-) ) then the speed will just be way to high and if the discharge current was adjusted down to i.e 10A max ( thats still a wopping 3.5kw) but the motor will not have enough torque to get you moving as it will be geared for around 200mph @350V ..

i think the ktm runs around 350V but this is a motor designed for that bike ... personally 350v on a bike is way to high ( especially a off road bike )  and a bit dangerous .

normally the bigger the motor the slower it will run per volt ( kv of the motor )  .. thats why cars can get away with it as they have much more room for the motor and batterys.. but bikes you are always struggling for space.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 7:51 PM, gwhy said:

or if it will fit just get one of these

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-6s-20000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html

the less interconnections you have the less room for error.. you may want to source a 6s bms for charging and basic battery protection.. you can bypass the current limit on most bms's for the discharge so you dont need to source a very expensive one..i think hobbyking sale a 6s bms but not to sure what the max charge current spec is.. 

4A max charge bms  https://hobbyking.com/en_us/6s-li-ion-pcm-charge-4a-discharge-10a.html

10A max charge bms https://hobbyking.com/en_us/6s-li-ion-10a-pcm.html

Would two of these in series be enough to power a Oset 20.0 Race?  I'm fairly versed in RC cars that use LiPO and have a quad charger with balance boards, but I'm guessing the BMS is to balance all 12 cells at the same time while each battery is charging indepently of eachother?

thank you for your time!

yes 2x 6s 20000mah lipo's will be enough to run a oset 20.0 . 

a bms normally is fitted permently to the battery and protects ( prevents cells from overcharging 4.2v ) and balances the battery when charging AND it also  prevents any cells from dropping below the safe level when discharging ( when in use ) a bms will also prevent the battery from charging if any cells are below the safe level (3v).

if you have 12cell battery then you would need a 12cell BMS  and you would treat and charge this 12cell battery as 1 battery ( 1x 50.4v li-ion charger ).

so if the battery is fitted with a bms and wired correctly and using the correct charger there is no need for low voltage alarms or a balance charger as it becomes a Plug 'n' Play system that is 100% protected 100% of the time.  

when selecting a bms you need to make sure it covers the max charge current that you will be charging your battery with and that its for the correct chemistry of your batterys ... lipo is 3v - 4.2v the bms also needs to be correct for the amount of cells that make up your battery.  12s lipo bms's are quite hard to get hold of ( expensive a 12s bms's bms start @ around $50) 13s are more common ( cheaper ) .. normally the higher the discharge rating of a bms then the more expensive it is , it is possible to bypass the max discharge current limit of a bms.. i.e a cheap 13s bms @ $10.00 - $15.00 will do the job but it will only be rated for a max discharge of around 30A so the the max discharge will have to be bypassed .. but you can still have the bms protecting the cells within the battery by using the bms to turn off the bike should any cell drop below the safe level.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Super thread this!

I am new to the forum here and new in the Trial sport.
From Norway by the way :)

I have bought an Oset Spider 16 for my son who is 4 years old on Thursday.

Thinking about upgrading with LiPo.

Will this package (battery and charger) be sufficient with regard to spec on the battery?
There should be no shortage of ah anyway :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-30AH-LifePo4-Battery-Electric-Bicycle-High-Power-Rechargeable-Batteries-Pack-/262969455281?hash=item3d3a3372b1:g:uv8AAOSwxGRZhVWf

Anyone who has experience using 36v on a 24v bike?

Best regards tommy

Skjermbilde 2017-08-15 kl. 22.35.04.png

Edited by tommykh
Pic add

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2016 at 10:48 PM, hosko11 said:
Great forum, great thread!

Using HK Multistar High Capacity batteries (4s and 6s) was raised 12 months ago, but for use with a 16.0 (http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/34845-oset-batteries-lithium-lipo-conversion-directions/?p=414419)

I'm planning to convert a 2015 20.0 Eco to lipo (15-20Ah capacity) and had come across these batteries thinking they looked like good options when bundled to 12s - which led me to this thread.

I've read;

- Oset 20.0 Eco (1200W motor) is capable of pulling a peak current of 100A, possibly 150A - so I'll assume 150A

- Multistar's C rating of 10C/20C is unlikely - 2C/5C seems more real world and will base battery build on that

- Therefore discharge rates are;

- 20,000mAh packs

- Constant - 20,000*2C/1000 = 40A 

- Peak - 20,000*5C/1000 = 100A 

- 16,000mAh packs

- Constant - 16,000*2C/1000 = 32A

- Peak - 16,000*5C/1000 = 80A 

For the 20.0, am I right in thinking with the 6S packs to not exceed 5C (a 150A peak current being drawn) I would need to build two parallel 2x20,000mAh bundles (doubling the discharge rates) to then run in series to get 12s (~48V)?  Using a total of 4 packs for a 12S battery with a whopping 40,000mAh, allowing a constant discharge rate of 80A and a very comfortable peak of 200A?

The alternative of using 16,000mAh 6S would reduce the overall size and weight, but with a still massive 32,000mAh 12S battery allowing a constant discharge rate of 64A and a very comfortable peak of 160A.  Is 64A for these 20.0 48V Osets getting a little low?

Cheers,

Hosko

Hi Hosko, what kind of run time are you getting with these battery setups? I have the Oset 20R for my boys and the 10yr old is only getting 15-20mins out of the original sla Batteries, so i'm thinking about using one of the setups you've posted.

Cheers,

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 12.5r 2016. Have you got a link with comercial lithium battery and a charger? I only know the Boost bikes setup, but its very expensive for me! Can you help me? My inglish it's low level and can't understand all the information. Im a begginer electric, and Don't know about the intensity, voltage, etc...

thanks!

On 2/15/2011 at 4:44 PM, betarambo said:

One of the best upgrades you can make to your Oset is to replaces the sealed lead-acid batteries with LiPos. A LiPo (lithium-ion polymer battery) is an evolution of lithium-ion batteries where the electrolyte is basically held in plastic rather than a solvent. LiPos allow you to shave a lot of weight and to reduce charge time dramatically.

While the benefits are impressive, they do not come free. Lipos have significant risks and require a higher level of technical competence and attention than the stock batteries do. If you are not somewhat technical, willing to learn, and willing to put some extra attention into the care and maintenance of the bike then stop here and enjoy a really cool bike as it is.

Safety disclaimer: I am attempting to relate how I modified my daughter

Above is all I can see of the original post. Where are the instructions mentioned?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 1:05 PM, gwhy said:

P lipo wireing.jpg

Sorry to drag up a really old post but I am trying to work out the balance leads for the setup above, is the best solution to buy two parallel balance leads one for each bank of 3 batteries like in the link below or is there a better way?

http://www.rc-hero.co.uk/jst-xh-parallel-balance-lead-5s-250mm-6xjst-xh-paraxh5s-6

Do these only need to be plugged in for charging or would you leave them plugged in and use it for the low voltage alarm when riding? 

I have two chargers for up to 6s batteries and am planning on charging 5s3p I have 6 of these

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-5000mah-5s-20c-lipo-pack-xt-90.html

I am fine with what's in the diagram but not 100% on the balance leads for charging as I am new to lipo.

Thanks.

Edited by lennie

http://www.rc-hero.co.uk/jst-xh-parallel-balance-lead-5s-250mm-6xjst-xh-paraxh5s-6

yes, you will need 2 of these ... 1 for each P'ed set of batterys.

yes you will need to leave them connected to the batteries for charging And discharging, you can then also use the LV alarms, treating each block of 3 P'ed batteries as just 1 battery with 1 balance tap lead.