Oset Batteries Lithium (LiPo) Conversion Directions

betarambo

to have a 10ah 48v you will need 4x6s1p , if you want more run time and you are happy with the power and speed then you need the same voltage but higher ah's so to double the run time then you need 2x the ah's i.e 20ah 48v and to achive this you will need another 4x6s1p batterys.

I'm sort of figuring this out, but I'm confused on what the mAh on the 6s1p batteries would need to be to equal 10ah and also end up with roughly 48v? Also, you're saying just double the "4x6s1p" pack and run 8 batteries to get the longest range?

​I'm looking at these "Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C Lipo Pack"

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9176__Turnigy_5000mAh_6S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html (although 8 of those is $400 not including charger and all cables)

so 5000mAh x 20C = 100000mAh/1000 = 100amps (am I even close)?

Is there a specific battery would you recommend for what i'm trying to do? Maybe I'll just start out with the 4 and then double it when i get additional funds.

I'd love to buy you a few beers for taking all the time to explain this to all of us... any local bars that accept bitcoin? haha

For anyone interested, I found another battery kit on ebay that should work for the 20" 20a 48v (pretty expensive with shipping though):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-2014-48v-20ah-Third-generation-Lithium-ion-rechargealbe-Battery-ebike-power-/271414454854

yes the battery you linked to in hobbyking will do the job, you will need 4 batterys configured to make the 48v 10ah battery ( 44.4v 10000mah ) connect then as in the below diagram to get to the desired voltage and Ah's

the other ebay battery will not be suitable for these bikes as the max output current they can deliveris only 40A which is to low for off road ebikes

post-10011-0-40746200-1394105013_thumb.jpg

I just found this site http://www.lifepo4.cc

someone on another forum suggested that he's saving up for the 72V 40AH LiFePO4 Battery Pack. How would that work with the 48v motor?

They are all a little spendy but would one of these batteries be a good options as an all in one package.

Also, thoughts on replacing the motor with something brushless?

I'd have to sell my GF on the street corner and other crap but seems like a simpler solution. Weight is not an issue....

I just found this site http://www.lifepo4.cc

someone on another forum suggested that he's saving up for the 72V 40AH LiFePO4 Battery Pack. How would that work with the 48v motor?

They are all a little spendy but would one of these batteries be a good options as an all in one package.

Also, thoughts on replacing the motor with something brushless?

I'd have to sell my GF on the street corner and other crap but seems like a simpler solution. Weight is not an issue....

The batterys you have linked to will not be able to deliver the current needed for the oset, these are more for standard low powered e-bikes.

If a 72v battery was used then you will have to upgrade the controller and unless you want more speed not really worth it.. converting the oset to brushless will be a lot more work and expense ( controller/motor ) and mounting the net motor into the same place where the exsiting motor is.

Also i just stumbled across this article on modifying a Stealth Bomber in a similar way to what we're all looking to do. Well worth the read:

http://www.electricbike.com/stealth-hot-rod/

The article is very well written but I would strongly advise never running no more than 100V on any bike especially how this guy has done it, also always P the smaller battery's first then S them to get the desired voltage ( opposite way that this guy has done ), there is a very good reason for doing P first S second. I would like to echo the warnings about bulk charging lipo's ( but many do it, myself included ) you 100% need to know what you are doing and why your doing it!!.

edit: the earthX batteries are a very good drop in solution... that takes away all the guess work, But they are about 2x the size and 2x the weight of lipo.. but smaller and lighter than lead.

Edited by gwhy

In regards to the earthX, I could build a cheaper, longer lasting and more powerful custom lipo setup, correct?

How much of an advantage would I get from mounting a brushless motor (with esc, etc) over the stock motor. For example i got this response from Cyclone E Bikes:

"OSET bike made the frame in our frame factory now. The motor mount is different, you can try our 840-2000W motor no gear box motor with 48V 100A kelly controller"

post-14545-0-82392700-1394732468_thumb.jpg

In regards to the earthX, I could build a cheaper, longer lasting and more powerful custom lipo setup, correct?

How much of an advantage would I get from mounting a brushless motor (with esc, etc) over the stock motor. For example i got this response from Cyclone E Bikes:

"OSET bike made the frame in our frame factory now. [/size]The motor mount is different, you can try our 840-2000W motor no gear box motor with 48V 100A kelly controller"[/size]

yes a home built lipo pack can be cheaper and more powerful for the same price. There will be no real benefit switching to a brushless system if your brushed system is working well. I would consider a brushless conversion if either the controller or brushed motor needed replacing due to a fault. Out of interest, did cyclone say how much the motor costs ?

In case anyone wonders if this can be done with a Kuberg - I just did this conversion to a 24v Kuberg Start last night based on all the awesome info from this thread!

Used

(2) 6S Zippy 5000mah, 25c

(2) XT-60 Female connectors

(1) XT-60 parallel connector

(2) Lipo charge bags

Bit of solder and heat shrink

(optional) 2x Turnigy battery monitors

Kuberg already uses XT-60 connectors so it was just a matter of soldering the new female leads to the batteries then it was a straight drop in. I put each battery in its own bag but you could easily fit them in one. The stock battery strap works fine to hold them in place but I felt 2 bags offered better padding to protect the batteries. With the plastics there really isn't much that could damage the batteries besides vibration. I spent about 20 minutes soldering and about 10 more swapping the batteries. Its much easier if you put the bike on a stand, remove the upper shock mount bolt and let the swingarm hang. Then remove the 6 allen screws for the seat and side plastics. All the tools you'll need are in the tool kit that came with the bike. Batteries easily slide in/out the rear with the shock not in the way. Dropped 7.7 lbs or 17.5% total bike weight with 2x battery monitors connected to the lipo's. Range increased 20%.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, about to drop the hammer and buy 8 of the Turnigy batteries from HK linked above. I was thinking 4 in parallel and then a series of 2 to get max range. The only thing i'm not sure of and looking for now is the best charger(s) for the job. From what I understand, I would charge each P as a 4s 20000mAh battery? Could I charge the whole thing with this charger:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F9005%5F%5FiCharger%5F208B%5F350W%5F8s%5FBalance%5FCharger.html

If that's not a good solution, any suggestions on a charger that can charge 4xTurnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C at once? (I'm willing to spend a bit extra to get a good charger initially)

I know i have to be very careful with balancing (especially prior to Parallel) and I have some ammo boxes for storage, etc....I've read the fire thread on E-S :o

Thanks for all the help!

SZ

each of the 8 batterys's has 6 cells so 4p will still be a 6s when you series them this becomes 12s so a total of 12s4p . The charger you linked to can only do 8s so you will still have to split the pack down to its 6s4p packs . There are only a few 12c lipo balance chargers on the market that will let you treat a 12s lipo battery as one big battery and HK dont sell one :-(. They do however sell a dual 6s 400w balance charger http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20613__Turnigy_MEGA_400Wx2_Battery_Charger_Discharger_800W_.html you will need at least a 20A psu to power this charger but will still require you to split down your battery into the 6s4p packs to charge separately.

• 5 weeks later...

got everything up and running. bike is definitely snappier with probably 20% more power and 2.5x the range. Also saving 17lbs from the stock battery.

couple of questions:

1- has anyone changed the throttle? my response is lacking and it seems to possibly be capping out on the max speed.

2- what is a good voltage monitor to use for 12s monitoring? i've only been seeing 8s max ones from HK. I'm currently using 2 cheapo ones that are connect to each main plug on my balance harness and i'm also carrying my multimeter in a backpack to check it all occasionally.

here's some pics...

another angle

pasture

father and son from alaska. they are hooked on the Oset

batteries

charger

forks

and a huge thanks to ghy and everyone else on this and endless-sphere forums. What a cool community and fun projects everyone is working on!